POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : artifacts in the heightmap Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:31:55 EDT (-0400)
  artifacts in the heightmap (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: cartun
Subject: artifacts in the heightmap
Date: 31 Oct 2011 08:40:01
Message: <web.4eae96cbabd97836b910efbc0@news.povray.org>
hello there,

i have a problem with a heigtmap:
http://s14.directupload.net/images/111031/o8sgwpwd.png

you have a idea how can I prevent something?

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: artifacts in the heightmap
Date: 31 Oct 2011 08:57:51
Message: <4eae9b4f$1@news.povray.org>
On 31-10-2011 13:38, cartun wrote:
> hello there,
>
> i have a problem with a heigtmap:
> http://s14.directupload.net/images/111031/o8sgwpwd.png
>
> you have a idea how can I prevent something?

I suppose you make the height_field from an image?

You can do two things:

1) add double_illuminate to the height_field block and see if the
artifacts disappear;

2) make the height_field from an image-related function. In this case
you can increase the resolution as you need it. To do this use the
following code and adapt to your needs:

#declare F_HF_01 =
function {
   pigment {
     image_map {
       tga "my_image.tga" gamma 1.0  //or any other image_map type
       map_type 0
       interpolate 2
     }
     warp {repeat x}
     warp {repeat y}
     scale 50
     warp {
       turbulence 0.2
       octaves 1 //[6]
       lambda 1  //[2]
       omega 0.2 //[0.5]
     }
     scale 1/50
   }
}

#declare hf1 =
   height_field {
     function HF_res, HF_res {F_HF_01(x,y,z).hf}
     smooth
     translate <-0.5, 0, -0.5>
   }

HF_res is the resolution you want to apply, typically this can be 2000
or 5000 for very high resolutions, or 500 for low resolution testing.

THomas

Post a reply to this message

> you have a idea how can I prevent something?

  Make it double-illuminated.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Thomas de Groot <tenDOTlnDOTretniATtoorgedDOTt> wrote:
> On 31-10-2011 13:38, cartun wrote:
> > hello there,
> >
> > i have a problem with a heigtmap:
> > http://s14.directupload.net/images/111031/o8sgwpwd.png
> >
> > you have a idea how can I prevent something?
> >

> I suppose you make the height_field from an image?

Yes!
> You can do two things:
>
> 1) add double_illuminate to the height_field block and see if the
> artifacts disappear;
>
> 2) make the height_field from an image-related function. In this case
> you can increase the resolution as you need it. To do this use the
> following code and adapt to your needs:
>
> #declare F_HF_01 =
> function {
>    pigment {
>      image_map {
>        tga "my_image.tga" gamma 1.0  //or any other image_map type
>        map_type 0
>        interpolate 2
>      }
>      warp {repeat x}
>      warp {repeat y}
>      scale 50
>      warp {
>        turbulence 0.2
>        octaves 1 //[6]
>        lambda 1  //[2]
>        omega 0.2 //[0.5]
>      }
>      scale 1/50
>    }
> }
>
> #declare hf1 =
>    height_field {
>      function HF_res, HF_res {F_HF_01(x,y,z).hf}
>      smooth
>      translate <-0.5, 0, -0.5>
>    }
>
> HF_res is the resolution you want to apply, typically this can be 2000
> or 5000 for very high resolutions, or 500 for low resolution testing.
>

> THomas

wow, thanks for your Help!!! I am really Happy... ty!