POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange checker behavior, overlapping perspective lines Server Time
30 Jun 2024 15:08:26 EDT (-0400)
  Strange checker behavior, overlapping perspective lines (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Chris
Subject: Strange checker behavior, overlapping perspective lines
Date: 31 May 2011 13:35:01
Message: <web.4de526458194c21a97074f4f0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

   I've been trying to add a checkered plane to an image. The plane itself can
be generated with a POV-Ray file comprising:

camera {
   perspective
   location <15, -12, 72>
   look_at <-1,3,35>
   sky <1,-1,0>
   }
light_source {
   <50, -20, 35>, color rgb<1.000,1.000,1.000>
   parallel
   point_at <0,0,20>
   }
plane { <1,-1,-0.1>, -30
   pigment { checker rgb<0.8, 0.8, 1.0>, rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0> scale 20}
   }

With POV-Ray 3.6.2 under Windows XP (Mac Parallels VM), I see overlapping lines
of checkers that look like they're going to different perspective points (sorry
I can't attach a file here, please let me know an e-mail address and I'll be
happy to send along a PNG of what I see). I was expecting a simple checkered
plane rather than two overlapping ones. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for any help!

Post a reply to this message

>    I've been trying to add a checkered plane to an image. The plane itself can
> be generated with a POV-Ray file comprising:
>
> camera {
>    perspective
>    location <15, -12, 72>
>    look_at <-1,3,35>
>    sky <1,-1,0>
>    }
> light_source {
>    <50, -20, 35>, color rgb<1.000,1.000,1.000>
>    parallel
>    point_at <0,0,20>
>    }
> plane { <1,-1,-0.1>, -30
>    pigment { checker rgb<0.8, 0.8, 1.0>, rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0> scale 20}
>    }
>
> With POV-Ray 3.6.2 under Windows XP (Mac Parallels VM), I see overlapping lines
> of checkers that look like they're going to different perspective points (sorry
> I can't attach a file here, please let me know an e-mail address and I'll be
> happy to send along a PNG of what I see). I was expecting a simple checkered
> plane rather than two overlapping ones. What am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks for any help!

It seems to have something to do with specifying the plane using negative
values...

Post a reply to this message

>     I've been trying to add a checkered plane to an image. The plane itself can
> be generated with a POV-Ray file comprising:
>
> camera {
>     perspective
>     location<15, -12, 72>
>     look_at<-1,3,35>
>     sky<1,-1,0>
>     }
> light_source {
>     <50, -20, 35>, color rgb<1.000,1.000,1.000>
>     parallel
>     point_at<0,0,20>
>     }
> plane {<1,-1,-0.1>, -30
>     pigment { checker rgb<0.8, 0.8, 1.0>, rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>  scale 20}
>     }
>
> With POV-Ray 3.6.2 under Windows XP (Mac Parallels VM), I see overlapping lines
> of checkers that look like they're going to different perspective points (sorry
> I can't attach a file here, please let me know an e-mail address and I'll be
> happy to send along a PNG of what I see). I was expecting a simple checkered
> plane rather than two overlapping ones. What am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks for any help!

This is the reason for what you see: plane {<1,-1,-0.1>

The checker pattern is composed of alterning unit cube areas or two
pigments or patterns, alligned to the base axis.
AND
Your plane is tilted relative to the checker pattern.

It would be beter to set your plane as follow:

plane{-1*y, -30
  pigment { checker rgb<0.8, 0.8, 1.0>, rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0> scale 20}
  rotate<-45,0,1>
}

Adjust the rotation as needed.

You could also rotate the checker pattern so that it's orientation
matches that of your plane.

Another possibility, is to shift the pattern and scale it by some large
value in ine direction:
pigment { checker rgb<0.8, 0.8, 1.0>, rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>translate -0.5*y
scale<20, 99999, 20>}

And, no, the use of negative values have nothing to do with your result.

Alain

Post a reply to this message