POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Our first image -no go for me Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:56:57 EDT (-0400)
  Our first image -no go for me (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Lockie
Subject: Our first image -no go for me
Date: 21 Dec 2010 21:50:01
Message: <web.4d11668b3d745dd7c5f94dac0@news.povray.org>
I've tried to run the tutorial image in 2.2.1 and just can't get it to run.
I can't see what I've done wrong so maybe someone can help me please.
typed in the following:

#include "shapes.inc"
#include "colors.inc"
camera {
  location <0,2,-3>
  look_at  <0,1,2>
}
sphere {
  <0,1,2>,2
texture {
  pigment {color yellow}
}
}
light_source {<2,4,-3> color white}

when run I get - parse error: no matching } in 'pigment', undetected indentifier
'yellow' found instead.
I've added, subtracted } but to no avail.  Any advice please.
Lockie

Post a reply to this message

> I've tried to run the tutorial image in 2.2.1 and just can't get it to run.
> I can't see what I've done wrong so maybe someone can help me please.
> typed in the following:
>
> #include "shapes.inc"
> #include "colors.inc"
> camera {
>    location<0,2,-3>
>    look_at<0,1,2>
> }
> sphere {
>    <0,1,2>,2
> texture {
>    pigment {color yellow}
> }
> }
> light_source {<2,4,-3>  color white}
>
> when run I get - parse error: no matching } in 'pigment', undetected indentifier
> 'yellow' found instead.
> I've added, subtracted } but to no avail.  Any advice please.
> Lockie

You have to remember POV is case-sensitive...
Use Yellow and White instead of yellow and white.
(Notice that the error message complained about the _identifier_ 'yellow'.)

Another bit of advice -- try to use indenting to show the structure of your script.
It makes
things much easier to follow.  Extra blank lines help too:

#include "shapes.inc"
#include "colors.inc"

camera {
     location<0,2,-3>
     look_at<0,1,2>
}

sphere {
     <0,1,2>,2
     texture {
         pigment {color Yellow}
     }
}

light_source {<2,4,-3>  color White}

      -=- Larry -=-

Post a reply to this message

From: Lockie
Date: 22 Dec 2010 02:35:00
Message: <web.4d11a8f484e185cb39aa68940@news.povray.org>
It works!!!!!!
Thanks for the prompt help -
I'm looking forward to much POV raying - wish I'd discovered POVray a long time
ago.
regards,
Lockie

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Dec 2010 05:00:00
Message: <web.4d11caf084e185cb196b08580@news.povray.org>
"Lockie" <Omg### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> It works!!!!!!
> Thanks for the prompt help -
> I'm looking forward to much POV raying - wish I'd discovered POVray a long time
> ago.

Watch out--it's addictive! ;-)