POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hide interior of transparent object Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:07:51 EDT (-0400)
  Hide interior of transparent object (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: LionAM
Subject: Hide interior of transparent object
Date: 17 Oct 2010 06:00:01
Message: <web.4cbac7cc1c3c33feddd7e4230@news.povray.org>
Hello!
I want to render a crystal structure (balls+sticks) with POV-Ray, where I focus
on one unit cell while the rest of the crystal is nearly transparent.

At the moment, the sticks go from the center of one ball to another. However, as
the balls are transparent, you can see the sticks inside the ball. Is there a
simple way to hide the part of the sticks inside the balls? The problem is that
I have 10 sticks per unit cell for the 2 color schemes (transparent and not
transparent) and each stick penetrates 2 balls - this would make 40 differences.
To code this by hand would not be fun...

Thank you in advance.

Alex

Post a reply to this message

> simple way to hide the part of the sticks inside the balls?

If you're using union ... try merge

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> On 10/17/2010 06:54 AM, LionAM wrote:
> > Is there a
> > simple way to hide the part of the sticks inside the balls?
>
> If you're using union ... try merge

It works!

Thank you
Alex