POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Decrement the number of objects as loop progresses Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  Decrement the number of objects as loop progresses (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Haakon Meland Eriksen
Subject: Decrement the number of objects as loop progresses
Date: 12 Aug 2010 17:10:00
Message: <web.4c64625c4047dedb52d43ba0@news.povray.org>
I would like to do something like this

*
**
***
**
*

and decrement the number of objects in one direction as the loops progress. How
can I do this correctly? This does not work.

#declare IndexX = 0;

#while (IndexX <= 9)
        #declare EndZ = 9;
        #declare IndexZ = 0;

        #while (IndexZ <= EndZ)

                sphere {  <IndexX,1,IndexZ>, 0.1   texture {pigment{color Red}}}
        #declare EndZ = EndZ - 1;
        #declare IndexZ = IndexZ + 1;

        #end

#declare IndexX = IndexX + 1;
#end

Cheers,
Haakon

Post a reply to this message

> and decrement the number of objects in one direction as the loops progress. How
> can I do this correctly? This does not work.
>
> #declare IndexX = 0;
>
> #while (IndexX <= 9)
>         #declare EndZ = 9;
>         #declare IndexZ = 0;
>
>         #while (IndexZ <= EndZ)
>
>                 sphere {  <IndexX,1,IndexZ>, 0.1   texture {pigment{color Red}}}
>         #declare EndZ = EndZ - 1;
>         #declare IndexZ = IndexZ + 1;
>
>         #end
>
> #declare IndexX = IndexX + 1;
> #end
>
> Cheers,
> Haakon

#declare X = -9;
#declare EndZ = -1;

#while (X <= 9)
   #if ( X < 0 )
     #declare EndZ = EndZ + 1;
   #else
     #declare EndZ = EndZ - 1;
   #end

   #declare Z = 0;
   #while (Z <= EndZ)
     sphere {  <X,1,Z>, 0.1   texture {pigment{color x}}}
     #declare Z = Z + 1;
   #end

   #declare X = X + 1;
#end

Post a reply to this message

> > and decrement the number of objects in one direction as the loops progress. How
> > can I do this correctly? This does not work.
> >
> > #declare IndexX = 0;
> >
> > #while (IndexX <= 9)
> >         #declare EndZ = 9;
> >         #declare IndexZ = 0;
> >
> >         #while (IndexZ <= EndZ)
> >
> >                 sphere {  <IndexX,1,IndexZ>, 0.1   texture {pigment{color Red}}}
> >         #declare EndZ = EndZ - 1;
> >         #declare IndexZ = IndexZ + 1;
> >
> >         #end
> >
> > #declare IndexX = IndexX + 1;
> > #end
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Haakon
> >

> #declare X = -9;
> #declare EndZ = -1;
>
> #while (X <= 9)
>    #if ( X < 0 )
>      #declare EndZ = EndZ + 1;
>    #else
>      #declare EndZ = EndZ - 1;
>    #end
>
>    #declare Z = 0;
>    #while (Z <= EndZ)
>      sphere {  <X,1,Z>, 0.1   texture {pigment{color x}}}
>      #declare Z = Z + 1;
>    #end
>
>    #declare X = X + 1;
> #end

Thanks, Jim!

My mathematician friends Per and Hung suggested something similiar, and Hung
even made me work it out while he had a cup of coffee, and I came up with these

// Number of X increases as Z increases by 1 is 2*1-1=1,2*2-1=3, 2*3-1=5,
2*4-1=7, 2*5-1=9 and so on.
/*
        *****
         ***
          *

*/
#declare IndexZ = 1;

#while (IndexZ <= 5)
        #declare EndX = 2*IndexZ-1;

        #declare IndexX = 1;
        #while (IndexX <= EndX)

                sphere {  <IndexX,0,IndexZ>, 0.1   texture {pigment{color Red}}
                translate <-IndexZ,0,0>
                }

        #declare IndexX = IndexX + 1;

        #end

#declare IndexZ = IndexZ + 1;
#end

sphere {<0,0,0>, 0.1 pigment {color Green}}
sphere {<0,0,5>, 0.1 pigment {color Blue}}

// Number of X decrement when Z increases by 1 is 1 = 9, 2 = 7, 3 = 5, 4 = 3, 5
= 1
/*

        *
       ***
      *****

*/
#declare IndexZ = 1;

#while (IndexZ <= 5)
        #declare EndX = 2*IndexZ-1;

        #declare IndexX = 1;
        #while (IndexX <= EndX)

                sphere {  <IndexX,0,IndexZ>, 0.1   texture {pigment{color Red}}
                translate <-IndexZ,0,-(EndX-1/2)>
                //translate x*10
                }

        #declare IndexX = IndexX + 1;