POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV-Ray cannot read ini file Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:59:29 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray cannot read ini file (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: kbogoski
Subject: POV-Ray cannot read ini file
Date: 10 Aug 2010 15:50:00
Message: <web.4c61ac90e98d40de519590f00@news.povray.org>
"Cannot open INI file 'C:Documents and Settings/Owner/My
Documents/POV_Ray/v3.6/ini/povray.ini'

I have the INI file in My Documents as well as the POV-Ray folder.  The
povray.ini is in both folders.

I do not understand why the program can't read it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Karen

Post a reply to this message

"kbogoski" <kbo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Cannot open INI file 'C:Documents and Settings/Owner/My
> Documents/POV_Ray/v3.6/ini/povray.ini'
>
> I have the INI file in My Documents as well as the POV-Ray folder.  The
> povray.ini is in both folders.
>
> I do not understand why the program can't read it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Karen

Hi, Karen! I noticed a missing / after C: , maybe that is the problem? Take a
look in the Render-menu, option Edit Settings/Render - what path do you see in
the INI file-section?

Cheers,
Haakon

Post a reply to this message

> "kbogoski" <kbo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > "Cannot open INI file 'C:Documents and Settings/Owner/My
> > Documents/POV_Ray/v3.6/ini/povray.ini'
> >
> > I have the INI file in My Documents as well as the POV-Ray folder.  The
> > povray.ini is in both folders.
> >
> > I do not understand why the program can't read it.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Karen
>
> Hi, Karen! I noticed a missing / after C: , maybe that is the problem? Take a
> look in the Render-menu, option Edit Settings/Render - what path do you see in
> the INI file-section?
>
> Cheers,
> Haakon

Thank you for responding Haakon.  That was my typing, I left it out.

The additional error message is "Failed to start render: failed to parse INI
file"

Post a reply to this message

> "Cannot open INI file 'C:Documents and Settings/Owner/My
> Documents/POV_Ray/v3.6/ini/povray.ini'
>
> I have the INI file in My Documents as well as the POV-Ray folder.  The
> povray.ini is in both folders.
>
> I do not understand why the program can't read it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Karen and welcome.

Tools > Edit master POVRAY.INI?

If so I would uninstall PovRay and reinstall it.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > "Cannot open INI file 'C:Documents and Settings/Owner/My
> > Documents/POV_Ray/v3.6/ini/povray.ini'
> >
> > I have the INI file in My Documents as well as the POV-Ray folder.  The
> > povray.ini is in both folders.
> >
> > I do not understand why the program can't read it.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >

> Hi Karen and welcome.

> Tools > Edit master POVRAY.INI?

> If so I would uninstall PovRay and reinstall it.
>

> Best Regards,
>  Stephen

Hello Stephen,

When I follow that path, the Tools menu only gives me "Help On this Menu" and
"Re-load Tool Menu."

I've tried moving the INI file and rerouting the path, with no luck.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it.  I have 3.6 and 3.7 and they both have
trouble with the INI file.  that's why I'm so frustrated with it.

Post a reply to this message

> When I follow that path, the Tools menu only gives me "Help On this Menu" and
> "Re-load Tool Menu."
>
> I've tried moving the INI file and rerouting the path, with no luck.
>
> I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it.  I have 3.6 and 3.7 and they both have
> trouble with the INI file.  that's why I'm so frustrated with it.

Would it be too inconvenient to System Restore your system to before you
installed PovRay?
Are you confident enough to edit the registry?
I would be tempted to uninstall both versions of PovRay run Regedit and
remove all the entries that refer to PovRay. Then reinstall PovRay 3.6.2
and see if that runs.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > When I follow that path, the Tools menu only gives me "Help On this Menu" and
> > "Re-load Tool Menu."
> >
> > I've tried moving the INI file and rerouting the path, with no luck.
> >
> > I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it.  I have 3.6 and 3.7 and they both have
> > trouble with the INI file.  that's why I'm so frustrated with it.
> >

> Would it be too inconvenient to System Restore your system to before you
> installed PovRay?
> Are you confident enough to edit the registry?
> I would be tempted to uninstall both versions of PovRay run Regedit and
> remove all the entries that refer to PovRay. Then reinstall PovRay 3.6.2
> and see if that runs.
>
> --
>
> Best Regards,
>  Stephen

I was thinking it was a computer thing.  I'll give it a try.

Karen

Post a reply to this message

> I was thinking it was a computer thing.  I'll give it a try.

Don't forget to make a restore point first. :-D

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen