POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hi! Needin' some help with some stuff. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:54:23 EDT (-0400)
  Hi! Needin' some help with some stuff. (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: MCC900
Subject: Re: Hi! Needin' some help with some stuff.
Date: 9 Jul 2010 18:35:01
Message: <web.4c37a3fbedcc201f2dd3766a0@news.povray.org>
Slime <pov### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:
> > I thought that if you take any point inside the isosurface's
> container, replace
>  > the x, y and z values in the function for the values of the point,
> and the
>  > result of the operation is equal to the threshold, the isosurface
> exists in that
>  > point...
>  > Is that correct?
>
> Yes, but in practice, POV-Ray can only find the point where the function
> is equal to zero by evaluating it at various points along a ray, and
> investigating where the function crosses from positive to negative.

Oh!
That explains why an isosurface I was trying to get working doesn't work...
Makes perfect sense. POV-Ray ain't waste valious rendering time in points that
are very probably not equal to the threshold as they're between two numbers that
doesn't include the threshold between them...
Great.
Thanks a lot...

> What are you trying to accomplish by using abs()?

Just an excuse I put so somebody explained me how isosurfaces worked. ;)