POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Overriding the transparency of a union Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:02:43 EDT (-0400)
  Overriding the transparency of a union (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: tensor
Subject: Overriding the transparency of a union
Date: 13 May 2010 17:30:00
Message: <web.4bec6e3aa5df0a1dc5768ac0@news.povray.org>
I saw a couple older posts about this and am hoping there may be a new feature
that would make things easier.

I am doing a complex animation where certain parts fade in and out. The parts
are made of unions of components with each components having its own
texture/pigment. I would like to just fade the transparency for the whole union.
Is there a way to do this at the union level or do I need to embed a
transparency clock down to each component.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

> I am doing a complex animation where certain parts fade in and out. The parts
> are made of unions of components with each components having its own
> texture/pigment. I would like to just fade the transparency for the whole union.
> Is there a way to do this at the union level or do I need to embed a
> transparency clock down to each component.

The latter.

You'll probably also get unexpected behavior regarding hidden surfaces
(depending on what you really want to achieve), as they will become
partially visible while the object fades out.

Maybe the focal blur mechanism of MegaPOV could be misused to achieve
what you want.

Post a reply to this message

> I saw a couple older posts about this and am hoping there may be a new feature
> that would make things easier.
>
> I am doing a complex animation where certain parts fade in and out. The parts
> are made of unions of components with each components having its own
> texture/pigment. I would like to just fade the transparency for the whole union.
> Is there a way to do this at the union level or do I need to embed a
> transparency clock down to each component.
>

> Thanks

No, not directly as each texture or pigment assigned to any individual
component override the global union's texture, including any filter and
transmit.

You can use a variable to set the transparency. If several/all elements
have the same transparency level, then you only need to set one variable.

Also, you'll probably need to change from union to merge if you don't
want to see the internal surfaces that are hiden when you don't have
transparency.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> > I saw a couple older posts about this and am hoping there may be a new feature
> > that would make things easier.
> >
> > I am doing a complex animation where certain parts fade in and out. The parts
> > are made of unions of components with each components having its own
> > texture/pigment. I would like to just fade the transparency for the whole union.
> > Is there a way to do this at the union level or do I need to embed a
> > transparency clock down to each component.
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> No, not directly as each texture or pigment assigned to any individual
> component override the global union's texture, including any filter and
> transmit.
>
> You can use a variable to set the transparency. If several/all elements
> have the same transparency level, then you only need to set one variable.
>
> Also, you'll probably need to change from union to merge if you don't
> want to see the internal surfaces that are hiden when you don't have
> transparency.
>

> Alain

Thank you both for the information.