POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Image mapping on triangles Server Time
5 Jul 2024 03:32:23 EDT (-0400)
  Image mapping on triangles (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: solanb
Subject: Image mapping on triangles
Date: 3 Nov 2009 08:20:00
Message: <web.4af02da516d6504fcf0bfa9c0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm working with 3d scenes of plants. Each plant is composed of leaves and each
leaved is composed of triangles. The whole scene contains thousands of
triangles.

I'd like to add a texture from an image file on the leaves and I tried several
techniques but I'm not sure of the best way to do.
My constraint is that the image's projection on a given triangle must be in the
same plane of the triangle.
Using image_map, I have to rotate the texture in the triangle's plane: is there
a way to calculate rotation parameters from triangle's coordinates?

I there an easier way to do this?

Thanks for your help,
Benoit

Post a reply to this message

>I'm working with 3d scenes of plants. Each plant is composed of leaves and each
>leaved is composed of triangles. The whole scene contains thousands of
>triangles.
>
>I'd like to add a texture from an image file on the leaves and I tried several
>techniques but I'm not sure of the best way to do.
>My constraint is that the image's projection on a given triangle must be in the
>same plane of the triangle.
>Using image_map, I have to rotate the texture in the triangle's plane: is there
>a way to calculate rotation parameters from triangle's coordinates?

If you collect your triangles into a mesh or mesh2, you can use
uv_mapping.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it solanb who wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm working with 3d scenes of plants. Each plant is composed of leaves and each
> >leaved is composed of triangles. The whole scene contains thousands of
> >triangles.
> >
> >I'd like to add a texture from an image file on the leaves and I tried several
> >techniques but I'm not sure of the best way to do.
> >My constraint is that the image's projection on a given triangle must be in the
> >same plane of the triangle.
> >Using image_map, I have to rotate the texture in the triangle's plane: is there
> >a way to calculate rotation parameters from triangle's coordinates?
>
> If you collect your triangles into a mesh or mesh2, you can use
> uv_mapping.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Ok, but then how to define the uv_vector corresponding to each triangle?

My image to be mapped consists of spots of a given dimension (eg. 1cm diameter),

also in cm. And I want to keep the scale of my image when I project it on the
scene's triangles.
Using uv_mapping without uv_vector doesn't produce what I expect but the
definition uv_vector is not clear for me.

Thanks in advance!
Benoit

Post a reply to this message

> If you collect your triangles into a mesh or mesh2, you can use
> uv_mapping.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Ok, but then how to define the uv_vector corresponding to each triangle?

My image to be mapped consists of spots of a given dimension (eg. 1cm diameter),

also in cm. And I want to keep the scale of my image when I project it on the
scene's triangles.
Using uv_mapping without uv_vector doesn't produce what I expect but the
definition uv_vector is not clear for me.

Thanks in advance!
Benoit

Post a reply to this message

 > Ok, but then how to define the uv_vector corresponding to each triangle?
>
> My image to be mapped consists of spots of a given dimension (eg. 1cm
> diameter),

> are
> also in cm. And I want to keep the scale of my image when I project it on
> the
> scene's triangles.
> Using uv_mapping without uv_vector doesn't produce what I expect but the
> definition uv_vector is not clear for me.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Benoit

Thoughts about UV mapping in general:

If you have a triangle defined in 3D space by these points:
    A = <x1, y1, z1>
    B = <x2, y2, z2>
    C = <x3, y3, z3>

you'll define a corresponding triangle in your image map, in two dimensions:
    a = <u1, v1>
    b = <u2, v2>
    c = <u3, v3>

Traditionally, X/Y/Z are used for coordinates in 3D space, and U/V are used
for the coordinates in the mapped 2D space (W is used in matrix
representations of 3D points, so U & V are next in line from that end of the
Latin alphabet).

When a program like POV goes to figure out what color your 3D triangle is,
it takes the point in the plane of the triangle that it's looking at, and
figures out how close it is relatively to points A, B, & C in 3D space, then
uses the same relationship to find a corresponding pixel in an image map
that is that (relative) distance from points a, b, & c.

The values for U & V are normally expressed as values from zero to one,
reading from left to right and bottom to top. When you specify the triangle,
you say both which 3D points define the shape in space, and which 2D points
map to a flat picture, and in what order.

So, the program figures out the distance from each ABC, determines the same
relative distances from abc, and comes up with a point on the 2D plane that
equals 0.300 by 0.250. It then multiplies those numbers by the number of
pixels in each direction, finds the pixel in the image map at that point,
then uses the color of that pixel for the color of the triangle in the
rendered image.

The mapping is always done in the plane of the triangle to the plane of the
image, so you should get what you're looking for there. You can use the same
UV coordinates for every leaf in the mesh, if you want, and they'll all have
the same color (before lighting, fog, whatever, etc.)

Here's an example of a shape made from two triangles in a POV mesh that form
a diamond shape, each triangle using the same part of an image (which might
look a little weird if you actually rendered it):

// The image map color
#declare Image_Based_Texture =
    texture {
        pigment {
            uv_mapping
            image_map {
                jpeg "Leaf.jpg"
                }
            }
        }

// The "leaf"
mesh2 {
    // Physical points in 3D space that define
    // the shape
    vertex_vectors {
        4,
        < 0.000, 0.000, 0.000>,
        <-1.000, 1.000, 0.500>,
        < 0.750, 1.100, 0.250>,
        < 0.100, 2.000, 0.000>
        }
    // Points inside the image file
    uv_vectors {
        3,
        <0.000, 0.000>,
        <1.000, 0.000>,
        <0.500, 1.000>
        }
    // List of textures that are used for the shape
    texture_list {
        1,
        texture { Image_Based_Texture }
        }
    // Build the actual triangles of the shape from
    // the vertex_vectors list plus textures
    face_indices {
        2,
        <0, 1, 2>, 0,
        <1, 2, 3>, 0
        }
    // For each face, show the points in the image
    // plane that create its color
    uv_indices {
        2,
        <0, 1, 2>,
        <0, 1, 2>
        }
    }

Post a reply to this message

>> If you collect your triangles into a mesh or mesh2, you can use
>> uv_mapping.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Williams
>> Gentleman of Leisure
>
> Ok, but then how to define the uv_vector corresponding to each triangle?
>
> My image to be mapped consists of spots of a given dimension (eg. 1cm
> diameter),

> are
> also in cm. And I want to keep the scale of my image when I project it on
> the
> scene's triangles.
> Using uv_mapping without uv_vector doesn't produce what I expect but the
> definition uv_vector is not clear for me.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Benoit

If all of your leaves are the same basic shape then it's relatively easy to
work out uv_vectors and reuse them on all of your leaves.

In the example below I've created a simple shape using 6 vertices to create
4 triangular faces aligned roughly to the plane y=0. I've added uv_mapping
coordinates that  map the brick pigment using the x and z coordinates of the
vertices. Because the shape is not totally flat you can see (when you render
it) that there's some stretching of the pigment, but, in this position you
can fairly easily adjust the uv_mapping until you've taken account of that.

Once you've got this uv-mapping you can use it for any other mesh2 object of
the same shape, although the vertex coordinates may be different because the
leaf would be at a different position and orientation in 3D space. The
uv_mapping takes the part of the pigment that crosses the plane z=0 and map
it to the vertices as specified.

camera {location <0.4,1,0.4> look_at <0.5,0,0.5>}
light_source {<-3, 16,-10> color rgb 1}

mesh2 {
  vertex_vectors{
    6