POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Bends Server Time
7 Jul 2024 08:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Bends (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: tiocfaidh
Subject: Bends
Date: 26 Aug 2009 13:20:00
Message: <web.4a956acd623d930ac3fc43200@news.povray.org>
Hey am trying to create an object. I tried using a sor but that wont allow like
bends because of the symmetry.

I want to be able to sort of 'draw' my own object like in sor but be able to
make a string type object. A winding object like this:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7360/39530943.jpg

Is there any way like the SOR but which allows me to make points anywhere?

Post a reply to this message

> Hey am trying to create an object. I tried using a sor but that wont allow like
> bends because of the symmetry.
>
> I want to be able to sort of 'draw' my own object like in sor but be able to
> make a string type object. A winding object like this:
> http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7360/39530943.jpg
>
> Is there any way like the SOR but which allows me to make points anywhere?

I think you want the sphere-sweep.  This will only work for circular
cross-sections, but that may be all you need.  Otherwise, there are other
approaches if the cross-section is more complex.  Chris Colefax has a macro to
make any object follow a path:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/bend.html

You can also hand-code a mesh to follow an path with any cross-section, but that
is significantly more complex.

 - Ricky