POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Cone to tree Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:53:14 EDT (-0400)
  Cone to tree (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: tiocfaidh
Subject: Cone to tree
Date: 24 Aug 2009 13:50:00
Message: <web.4a92d1d06996b49cfc8a212f0@news.povray.org>
How would I create a simple tree out of a cone. I have an idea.

say I got this for the basic cone:
cone
{
        <0,0,0>,0.70
        <0,2,0>,0.1
        texture
        {
                pigment {Jade}
                normal {dents 20 scale 0.1}
                finish {roughness 1000}
        }
}

Now to make it into a tree i need bits and pieces extruding from it, is it
possiblt to take the cone and like pull bits out in a way?

Post a reply to this message

> How would I create a simple tree out of a cone. I have an idea.
>
> say I got this for the basic cone:
> cone
> {
>         <0,0,0>,0.70
>         <0,2,0>,0.1
>         texture
>         {
>                 pigment {Jade}
>                 normal {dents 20 scale 0.1}
>                 finish {roughness 1000}
//No effect by itself
//roughness need "specular" to have an effect
>         }
> }
>
> Now to make it into a tree i need bits and pieces extruding from it, is it
> possiblt to take the cone and like pull bits out in a way?

You can't "pull bits out".

What you can do is add more cones in an union.
Try this:
union{
	cone{
         <0,0,0>,0.70
         <0,2,0>,0.1
	}
#local Branch =7;
#while (Branch >0)
	cone
	<0,2,0>,0.1
	<1.5,2.3>,0.01
	rotate 360/7 *Branch *y//rotate evenly around the y axis
	}
#local Branch =Branch -1;
#end
         texture
         {
                 pigment {Jade}
                 normal {dents 20 scale 0.1}
                 finish {specular 0.3 roughness 1000}
         }
}

This will make a "tree" with 7 branches set around it's top.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Now to make it into a tree i need bits and pieces extruding from it, is it
> possiblt to take the cone and like pull bits out in a way?
You could use isosurfaces to do this,
you'd end up with trees that look like they're
made out of modeling clay probably.