POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : double_illuminate coefficient Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:55:40 EDT (-0400)
  double_illuminate coefficient (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Chris B
Subject: Re: double_illuminate coefficient
Date: 12 Aug 2009 03:35:19
Message: <4a8270b7$1@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4a7e80d16beb157a30316e610@news.povray.org...
> Is there a way to cheaply tune the amount by which the light brought by
> double_illuminate can be added? I'm thinking like an amount of
> translucency,
> without changing anything to transparency nor having to use media.

I see that Clipka and Warp have discussed potential solutions, but I'm
wondering whether simply specifying an interior_texture might provide a
cheap way for you to tune the light resulting from the double_illuminate and
give you what you're trying to achieve. This enables you to turn up or down
the amount of light added by the double_illuminate option (or even to adjust
its color if you want to) without fiddling with the transparency or media.

The following example illustrates this approach in case it's useful, by
showing two spheres symmetrically illuminated:

camera {location <-1, 0,-2> look_at <0,0,0>}
light_source {<1,0,-1> color rgb 1}

sphere {0,0.5 pigment {rgbt <1,1,1,0.5>} finish {ambient 0}
  double_illuminate
  interior_texture {pigment {rgb 1}}
  translate 0.5*y
}

sphere {0,0.5 pigment {rgbt <1,1,1,0.5>} finish {ambient 0}
  double_illuminate
  interior_texture {pigment {rgb 0.2}}
  translate -0.5*y
}

The lower sphere uses a lower value for the interior color, effectively fine
tuning the amount of light added by the double_illuminate keyword.

Regards,
Chris B.