POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why can I still see things when there are no lights. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Why can I still see things when there are no lights. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: kyfho
Subject: Why can I still see things when there are no lights.
Date: 10 Feb 2009 13:40:00
Message: <web.4991c97b896678faa7181760@news.povray.org>
Hi.

This is prob a stupid post and I am quite prepared to be called stupid if
I get an answer.

I am trying to render the inside of our theatre. I want to be able to show
directors what their scenes will look like in various lighting states. However
I cannot get a blackout. When I remove all the light sources I still get a
picture. Not even a dark picture.

I would like to find out where the light is coming from and flick its switch.

So how do I get rid of the light please.

Thanks.
Eamon.

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to find out where the light is coming from and flick its switch.

global_settings { ambient_light 0 }

  Or alternatively:

#default { finish { ambient 0 } }

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> This is prob a stupid post and I am quite prepared to be called stupid if
> I get an answer.
>
> I am trying to render the inside of our theatre. I want to be able to show
> directors what their scenes will look like in various lighting states. However
> I cannot get a blackout. When I remove all the light sources I still get a
> picture. Not even a dark picture.
>
> I would like to find out where the light is coming from and flick its switch.
>
> So how do I get rid of the light please.
>
> Thanks.
> Eamon.

Its probably ambient light.  Either:
1. set ambient_light in the global_settings block to 0
2. make sure to set ambient to 0 for your textures

I would suggest #2 as there are times when you do want to make use of ambient in
certain textures (e.g. making a visible light source that 'glows')

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

kyfho nous illumina en ce 2009-02-10 13:39 -->
> Hi.
>
> This is prob a stupid post and I am quite prepared to be called stupid if
> I get an answer.
>
> I am trying to render the inside of our theatre. I want to be able to show
> directors what their scenes will look like in various lighting states. However
> I cannot get a blackout. When I remove all the light sources I still get a
> picture. Not even a dark picture.
>
> I would like to find out where the light is coming from and flick its switch.
>
> So how do I get rid of the light please.
>
> Thanks.
> Eamon.

Follow the recomendation of Warp.

You should also check if you use ready made textures, mostly from some *.inc
files. Some of those have some non-zero ambient values. The textures from
metals.inc and golds.inc are big offenders.
It will be easy to spot after setting a default texture with ambient 0. Remove
all lights and render. Any place that is still not black is using a texture with
some ambient set to more than zero.

--
Alain
   I went to a massage parlor. It was self service.

Post a reply to this message