POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Keep parse file ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Keep parse file ? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Grobi
Subject: Keep parse file ?
Date: 4 Feb 2009 05:35:00
Message: <web.49896eebc52697749eb381d30@news.povray.org>
Hi !

for a given scene the parsing takes a lot more time than rendering.

Is there a way to keep the parsed information to use with e.g. another
resolution render ?

thanks

 Andreas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Keep parse file ?
Date: 4 Feb 2009 06:40:00
Message: <web.49897dec717337a6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"Grobi" <and### [at] boesmanncom> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> for a given scene the parsing takes a lot more time than rendering.
>
> Is there a way to keep the parsed information to use with e.g. another
> resolution render ?

It depends on what's taking up most of the parsing time. Say you're using some
algorithm to place objects automatically, and the calculations are taking a
long time. You can save the final object positions to a data file once, then
read them back in as many times as you like. I've used this technique before,
when placing 500,000+ brick objects algorithmically. I cut down over an hour of
parsing to 20 minutes by saving the positions to a text file, then simply
reading them back in before the final render. I use this technique for saving
time when generating meshes too - by writing an .inc file that I can use
anywhere, more quickly, later on.

If this sounds like the problem, read up on the #fopen, #fclose, #write and
#read directives:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/235/

If, however, the parsing time is already due to large data files being read, I
don't know. I suspect it would be impossible, or extremely difficult.

Hope this helps

Bill

Post a reply to this message

"Grobi" <and### [at] boesmanncom> wrote:
> Is there a way to keep the parsed information to use with e.g. another
> resolution render ?

Not yet.

However, if you precompute anything, you might want to #write data to a file
(maybe "ready to rock" as an #include file)

Post a reply to this message