POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fade, change opacity, etc., how? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Fade, change opacity, etc., how? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: this is me
Subject: Fade, change opacity, etc., how?
Date: 17 Jun 2008 23:05:00
Message: <web.48587a562533b123bb43b6800@news.povray.org>
Just like at the beginning of a movie, I've created a reflective Warner Brothers
- like crest that I rotate and twist as it flies away from the camera to finally
land in a stationary position.  I've mapped an image onto a thin 'screen' behind
the camera that reflects off the crest, and the whole effect comes off looking
pretty good from beginning to end.  What I don't know how to do, however, is
make the image fade once the crest comes to rest.  I don't want to just blank
it out - I know how to do that - and it looks pretty bad.  It's a PNG image
that I'm using, so is there any way to take advantage of alpha or something
like that?  I suppose the brute force method would be to make an image sequence
that fades, and then use those, but I was hoping to avoid this approach.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-T.I.M.

Post a reply to this message

> Just like at the beginning of a movie, I've created a reflective Warner Brothers
> - like crest that I rotate and twist as it flies away from the camera to finally
> land in a stationary position.  I've mapped an image onto a thin 'screen' behind
> the camera that reflects off the crest, and the whole effect comes off looking
> pretty good from beginning to end.  What I don't know how to do, however, is
> make the image fade once the crest comes to rest.  I don't want to just blank
> it out - I know how to do that - and it looks pretty bad.  It's a PNG image
> that I'm using, so is there any way to take advantage of alpha or something
> like that?  I suppose the brute force method would be to make an image sequence
> that fades, and then use those, but I was hoping to avoid this approach.
> Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -T.I.M.

My idea is to use an average of the image and pigment{Clear} with
weights set by the clock.

Post a reply to this message

From: this is me
Date: 18 Jun 2008 11:20:00
Message: <web.48592731f98bc352dfa546470@news.povray.org>
That sounds like an excellent idea.  Thanks for the prompt input.

-T.I.M.