POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Earth Rendering Parse Error Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Earth Rendering Parse Error (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: james lake
Subject: Earth Rendering Parse Error
Date: 27 Apr 2008 20:35:01
Message: <web.48151aba2cfc8fbad4dec990@news.povray.org>
Hello:

I'm using POV 3.6, and when I downloaded this:

//------------------------------------
#declare Ebump=function{
  pigment {
    image_map {jpeg "earthbump1k.jpg"
      map_type 1
      interpolate 2
    }
  }
}

isosurface{
  function{f_sphere(x,y,z, 1)-Ebump(x,y,z).gray*0.05 }
  contained_by{sphere{0,1.05}}
  texture {
    pigment {
       image_map {jpeg "earthmap1k.jpg"
         map_type 1
         interpolate 2
       }
    }
  }
}

All I get is:
Parse Error: Expected 'Operator', found ( instead

What does that mean?

Help!

Thanks,

James

Post a reply to this message

From: triple r
Subject: Re: Earth Rendering Parse Error
Date: 27 Apr 2008 21:05:01
Message: <web.481522629998b1a8dcb320720@news.povray.org>
"james lake" <gum### [at] sprintmailcom> wrote:

> What does that mean?

#include "functions.inc"?

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 28 Apr 2008 15:13:48
Message: <481621ec$1@news.povray.org>
james lake nous illumina en ce 2008/04/27 20:30 -->

> isosurface{
>   function{f_sphere(x,y,z, 1)-Ebump(x,y,z).gray*0.05 }
>   contained_by{sphere{0,1.05}}
>   texture {
>     pigment {
>        image_map {jpeg "earthmap1k.jpg"
>          map_type 1
>          interpolate 2
>        }
>     }
>   }
> }

You can replace Ebump(x,y,z).gray by Ebump(x,y,z).x and get a faster render.
The bump image is normaly a B/W image. When you use ".gray", all 3 channels are
averaged together, but they all have the same value. So, if you use only one
channel, you get the same end result, but you save some calculations. You only
access the image once per sample instead of trice, and you then save the time
needed to add the values and divide the summ by 3.

This can be used whenever you use a B/W pigment.

--
Alain
A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every