POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Q: water swirl Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Q: water swirl (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Reinhard
Subject: Q: water swirl
Date: 3 Mar 2008 06:15:01
Message: <web.47cbdc86b81a17433fd5e8b50@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I think I remember there was a link anywhere in the povray news groups or on the
web how to do a water swirl.

Please can someone point me to it?

Thank you,
Reinhard

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: water swirl
Date: 3 Mar 2008 10:05:32
Message: <47cc13bc$1@news.povray.org>
"Reinhard" <rpr### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message

> I think I remember there was a link anywhere in the povray news groups or
> on the
> web how to do a water swirl.
>
> Please can someone point me to it?

Mr. Lohmueller has one at:
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/backgrnd/p_wat3.htm
and there's another at the short code contest #5:
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/scc5/final.html
Both are using surface normal's, not actual deformed surfaces (Alex
Kluchikov's is amazing nonetheless).

Not finding something like this for isosurfaces but probably out there
someplace (perhaps use Alex's function anyway?). Somebody else might know.
--
/*bob hughes*/

Post a reply to this message

> "Reinhard" <rpr### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
>>
>> I think I remember there was a link anywhere in the povray news groups
>> or on the
>> web how to do a water swirl.
>>
>> Please can someone point me to it?
>
> Mr. Lohmueller has one at:
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/backgrnd/p_wat3.htm
> and there's another at the short code contest #5:
> http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/scc5/final.html
> Both are using surface normal's, not actual deformed surfaces (Alex
> Kluchikov's is amazing nonetheless).
>
> Not finding something like this for isosurfaces but probably out there
> someplace (perhaps use Alex's function anyway?). Somebody else might know.

Thank you Bob

Post a reply to this message

> and there's another at the short code contest #5:
> http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/scc5/final.html
> Both are using surface normal's, not actual deformed surfaces (Alex
> Kluchikov's is amazing nonetheless).

that is a normal?!! O_o

just under 512 bytes and I haven't taken the time to look it up... :P

Post a reply to this message

"nemesis" <nam### [at] nospamgmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Bob Hughes wrote:
>> and there's another at the short code contest #5:
>> http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/scc5/final.html
>> Both are using surface normal's, not actual deformed surfaces (Alex
>> Kluchikov's is amazing nonetheless).
>
> that is a normal?!! O_o

The texture is, I believe, not the swirl object... or am I mistaken???

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 13 Mar 2008 06:37:09
Message: <47d911e5$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote in message

> "nemesis" <nam### [at] nospamgmailcom> schreef in bericht
>> Bob Hughes wrote:
>>> and there's another at the short code contest #5:
>>> http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/scc5/final.html
>>> Both are using surface normal's, not actual deformed surfaces (Alex
>>> Kluchikov's is amazing nonetheless).
>>
>> that is a normal?!! O_o
>>
> The texture is, I believe, not the swirl object... or am I mistaken???

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/scc5/results/c_wsckip.txt

As said there, lathe is the actual object the normal is put onto.
Likewise, the other example by Lohmueller is also an object (CSG torus
cylinder) with texture normal.
Both to get the actual whirlpool hole, but otherwise it's all about texture
not isosurfaces like I first thought when I saw Kluchikov's.
--
/*bob hughes*/