POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : SSE2 vs. 'standard' Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  SSE2 vs. 'standard' (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Blackfeather
Subject: SSE2 vs. 'standard'
Date: 18 Oct 2007 15:45:01
Message: <web.4717b71a236a66a54d6cf4fa0@news.povray.org>
Here's a noob question for ya:

The 3.7 beta was provided with two 32-bit versions: a "Standard" and an SSE2
version.  Well, since some CPUs are already using SSE3, I wonder what
'standard' means.  Is the case that the standard uses SSE w/MMX, and that
the SSE2 version is for newer CPUs that can take advantage of the new
instructions...  (seems likely)

OR - is the 'standard' version the latest and greatest (SSE3+), with the
SSE2 version provided for older CPUs...

For reference, I'm using two Xeon 5130's (each 2Ghz, dual-core, support SSE3
and 64bit).  Which 32-bit version would make best use of my resources?
Also, will I see a significant performance increase by switching to a
64-bit version of XP?

[sarcasm detection on]
[flame retardance enabled]

- James

Post a reply to this message

Blackfeather <jam### [at] blackfeathermediacom> wrote:
> The 3.7 beta was provided with two 32-bit versions: a "Standard" and an SSE2
> version.  Well, since some CPUs are already using SSE3, I wonder what
> 'standard' means.

  It means that it's backwards-compatible all the way down to 386 and thus
will be slower.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Blackfeather nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/18 15:42:
> Here's a noob question for ya:
>
> The 3.7 beta was provided with two 32-bit versions: a "Standard" and an SSE2
> version.  Well, since some CPUs are already using SSE3, I wonder what
> 'standard' means.  Is the case that the standard uses SSE w/MMX, and that
> the SSE2 version is for newer CPUs that can take advantage of the new
> instructions...  (seems likely)
>
> OR - is the 'standard' version the latest and greatest (SSE3+), with the
> SSE2 version provided for older CPUs...
>
> For reference, I'm using two Xeon 5130's (each 2Ghz, dual-core, support SSE3
> and 64bit).  Which 32-bit version would make best use of my resources?
> Also, will I see a significant performance increase by switching to a
> 64-bit version of XP?
>
> [sarcasm detection on]
> [flame retardance enabled]
>
> - James

The "Standard" version will run on ANY x86 processors, from 386 (maybe 286 if
you are lucky), to the latest Core2 and AMD64's and FX.
The SSE2 version will only run if you have an more recent SSE2 enabled processor.

The "Standard" version, been more "general", can't be as optimised, and is thus
somewhat slower.
Your processors should be able to use the SSE2 version, and be able to render
faster.

The use of the 64 bits version, only doable IF also using a 64 bits OS, is not
so much a question of speed as how much memory can be used. The 32 bits version
have a maximum alocatable memory of about 3 Gb, up to almist 4 Gb on a patched OS.
If you use the 64 bits version, that limitation is removed. The "theoretical"
adress space now exeed the PETA byte, but is limited by the bios of your
computer and the capacity and number of your memory modules.

--
Alain
Following the rules will not get the job done.

Post a reply to this message

From: Blackfeather
Date: 24 Oct 2007 10:35:00
Message: <web.471f57866c52eeeb4d6cf4fa0@news.povray.org>
Thank you both for explaining.  I appreciate the help!

- James