POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to run POV-Ray from command line Server Time
10 May 2024 10:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  How to run POV-Ray from command line (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Pahidla
Subject: How to run POV-Ray from command line
Date: 5 Oct 2007 00:30:01
Message: <web.4705bd7114b847653ccd3f470@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I can't seem to find the most elementary info on how to run POV-Ray from
command line in Windows.

I have finally figure out that I can do something like:

"C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.6binpvengine.exe" +W160 +H90
"C:pgpavraybox.pov"  /EXIT

....but I stumbled across the +W160 type options by accident, the /EXIT
options in the documentation, not sure how I solved the "I/O restictions"
issue and don't know how to suppress the display window and produce PNG
output, and many other options.

Is there a coherent source on this? (My guess is that I am terrible at
looking for stuff.)

Many thanks in advance.

Pahidla

Post a reply to this message

"Pahidla" <dol### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to find the most elementary info on how to run POV-Ray from
> command line in Windows.
>
> I have finally figure out that I can do something like:
>
> "C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.6binpvengine.exe" +W160 +H90
> "C:pgpavraybox.pov"  /EXIT
>
> ....but I stumbled across the +W160 type options by accident, the /EXIT
> options in the documentation, not sure how I solved the "I/O restictions"
> issue and don't know how to suppress the display window and produce PNG
> output, and many other options.
>
> Is there a coherent source on this? (My guess is that I am terrible at
> looking for stuff.)
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Pahidla

Hi Pahidla,

The POV-Ray help file has a section on Command Line Options (Section 3.1.2
in the Windows version that I have).
This is also covered in the online help starting at
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/215/

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

Pahidla nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/05 00:28:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to find the most elementary info on how to run POV-Ray from
> command line in Windows.
>
> I have finally figure out that I can do something like:
>
> "C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.6binpvengine.exe" +W160 +H90
> "C:pgpavraybox.pov"  /EXIT
>
> ....but I stumbled across the +W160 type options by accident, the /EXIT
> options in the documentation, not sure how I solved the "I/O restictions"
> issue and don't know how to suppress the display window and produce PNG
> output, and many other options.
>
> Is there a coherent source on this? (My guess is that I am terrible at
> looking for stuff.)
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Pahidla

The Windows version is not meant to run from the command line alone.
You can add a /minimized switch to start it minimized.

You can add "-d" to suppress the display window.
If you never want the display window, you can add this to povray.ini on a
separate line.

To output as PNG, add "+fn" to the command line.

To always output as PNG, add "+fn" to povray.ini. You can add this alone on any
line.
Easy way to do it: In the menu line, look for "Tools" and select "Edid master
POVRAY.INI"

You can set the image resolution to any size and proportion you want. Don't
forget to also set the camera aspect ratio acordingly if you use an aspect ratio
other than 4:3. If you regularly use particular resolutions and some other
settings, you can add them to the "quickres.ini" file.

--
Alain
No matter how much you do, you never do enough.

Post a reply to this message

From: Samour
Date: 28 Aug 2009 13:10:00
Message: <web.4a980ecb333786ed64c007780@news.povray.org>
> The Windows version is not meant to run from the command line alone.
> You can add a /minimized switch to start it minimized.

This may be a silly question, but I just want to be sure. Can both POV files and
INI files be run through the command line (with POV-Ray loaded and minimized of
course).

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 29 Aug 2009 15:51:35
Message: <4a9986c7@news.povray.org>

>> The Windows version is not meant to run from the command line alone.
>> You can add a /minimized switch to start it minimized.
>
> This may be a silly question, but I just want to be sure. Can both POV files and
> INI files be run through the command line (with POV-Ray loaded and minimized of
> course).

Yes

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Samour
Date: 2 Sep 2009 17:55:00
Message: <web.4a9ee8fd333786ed3756a7220@news.povray.org>
When adding the /minimized switch I get the following message: "/minimized is
not a recognized command-line option"

POVRAY /RENDER "C:\Test.ini" -d /EXIT

I tried adding the /minimized switch both before and after rendering begins and
got the same result. Any thoughts?

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 3 Sep 2009 20:22:35
Message: <4aa05dcb$1@news.povray.org>

> When adding the /minimized switch I get the following message: "/minimized is
> not a recognized command-line option"
>
> POVRAY /RENDER "C:\Test.ini" -d /EXIT
>
> I tried adding the /minimized switch both before and after rendering begins and
> got the same result. Any thoughts?

If you want to do several renders, you don't need the /exit switch.
Instead of calling POV-Ray directly, you can pass through a shortcut
that will launch it minimised. You should set "only keep a single
instance" in your preferences.

povray.lnk /renderer "C:\Test.ini" -d

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Samour
Date: 4 Sep 2009 14:15:00
Message: <web.4aa15812333786ed64c007780@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> If you want to do several renders, you don't need the /exit switch.
> Instead of calling POV-Ray directly, you can pass through a shortcut
> that will launch it minimised. You should set "only keep a single
> instance" in your preferences.
>
> povray.lnk /renderer "C:\Test.ini" -d
>
> Alain

I tried your suggestion and passed a shortcut that launches the application
minimized but no luck, it still shows the window same as before. I guess it's
fine as long as the app runs, does the renders, and then exits when it's done.
Thanks anyways.