POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Merging normals Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Merging normals (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: gadoid
Subject: Merging normals
Date: 5 Sep 2007 14:35:00
Message: <web.46def5cf6bdd06a34e9a00c00@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to get a composite normal that is the sum of two normals, for
example a fine scaled granite on a crackle?

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: Re: Merging normals
Date: 5 Sep 2007 15:35:00
Message: <web.46df03dd5328bbecc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"gadoid" <hansen at tkgate.org> wrote:
> Is there a way to get a composite normal that is the sum of two normals, for
> example a fine scaled granite on a crackle?

Yes.  I'm sure you may have already found that you can't simply layer them.

You can try using "average" pattern:

  normal{
    average
    normal_map{
      [1 crackle 1]
      [1 granite 1]
    }

  }

You can change what you use in the normal_map and even have as many items as
you like (up to POV's limit of 256).

Adjusting the numbers before the pattern name adjusts its weighting.  Have a
look at the average pattern in the docs for more info.

-tgq