POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A sine waveform Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:00 EDT (-0400)
  A sine waveform (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: vianagmo
Subject: A sine waveform
Date: 17 Aug 2007 11:00:00
Message: <web.46c5b74018de86ba88188d790@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody,

I am tryng to make a plane that have the form of a sine function, I tried
something like this:

#declare O11751184 =
box
{
  <1, 1, 1>, <0, 0, 0>

  pigment { image_map
      {
        png
        "/home/viviana/aut.png"
      }
      }
    normal {
    gradient x
    phase clock
    scale <0.2, 1, 1>
    sine_wave
     }
}

object
{
  O11751184
  scale <45,45,1>
  rotate <0,0,0>
  translate <-22.5, -22.5, 0.0>
}

.... but the surface appears plane...help please

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: A sine waveform
Date: 17 Aug 2007 14:02:34
Message: <46c5e2ba@news.povray.org>
"vianagmo" <vaa### [at] unaleduco> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am tryng to make a plane that have the form of a sine function, I tried
> something like this:
>
> #declare O11751184 =
> box
> {
>  <1, 1, 1>, <0, 0, 0>
>
>  pigment { image_map
>      {
>        png
>        "/home/viviana/aut.png"
>      }
>      }
>    normal {
>    gradient x
>    phase clock
>    scale <0.2, 1, 1>
>    sine_wave
>     }
> }
>
> object
> {
>  O11751184
>  scale <45,45,1>
>  rotate <0,0,0>
>  translate <-22.5, -22.5, 0.0>
> }
>

> .... but the surface appears plane...help please

Hi,

I think you're question is a bit incorrectly phrased.

Looking at your posting I think you are trying to add a sine-wave based
normal to the flat surfaces of the box that you have defined. Indeed you're
doing this quite successfully, but it doesn't show up on the front surface,
which is probably where you most wanted it because of the scaling. You have
applied the normal to the box object, then scaled the object (and also the
normal) in X and Y by a lot (45), but not in Z. If you scale the normal by
<0.2, 1, 45>, instead of <0.2,1,1> then you should see the effect I think
you're after.

On the other hand, if you really are trying to make a surface in the shape
of a sine wave, then you probably want to use an isosurface rather than a
box. Isosurfaces can be complicated, but Mike Williams has an excellent
tutorial that includes a page that describes how to use pattern functions to
generate a surface at
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/patterns.htm#wave. If that is what you
need, you may need to ask for an example.

Regards,
Chris B.