POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Normal mapping with use_color? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:46 EDT (-0400)
  Normal mapping with use_color? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: avariant
Subject: Normal mapping with use_color?
Date: 25 Jun 2007 15:45:02
Message: <web.46801a999f23ceb57d5d9e650@news.povray.org>
Does use_color in a bump_map block make the difference between an image
being used as a bump map (normal perturbed by the gray scale value of the
texture at a point) and a normal map (the three channels r,g,b dictating
the x,y,z of the normal)?  I've looked everywhere and have found nothing.
The manual just says "the color method will be used", whatever that is.

Post a reply to this message

> Does use_color in a bump_map block make the difference between an image
> being used as a bump map (normal perturbed by the gray scale value of the
> texture at a point) and a normal map (the three channels r,g,b dictating
> the x,y,z of the normal)?  I've looked everywhere and have found nothing.
> The manual just says "the color method will be used", whatever that is.

Probably the method is the one used for 16 bit color height fields...
where red is the MSB and green is the LSB.