POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple trig question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:14 EDT (-0400)
  Simple trig question (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: TheMightyZog
Subject: Simple trig question
Date: 13 Jun 2007 14:20:01
Message: <web.46703502695d64ebff6e04e90@news.povray.org>
I'm ashamed to have to ask this, but I just can not remember how to
calculate an angle in degrees if I know the opposite and adjacent side of a
right-angled triangle.

My only excuse is that I'm an OAP and school was just years ago and then
radians were not taught!

Help!

Thanks
Zog

Post a reply to this message

> I'm ashamed to have to ask this, but I just can not remember how to
> calculate an angle in degrees if I know the opposite and adjacent side of a
> right-angled triangle.
>
> My only excuse is that I'm an OAP and school was just years ago and then
> radians were not taught!
>
> Help!
>
> Thanks
> Zog

If it looks like this

        alpha
      /|
   h /=|
    /  | o
   /  .|
   -----

alpha = atan (a/o)
alpha = acot (o/a)
alpha = asin (a/h)

Is this what you wanted ... POVCODE?

Marc

Post a reply to this message

Marc Schimmler <mar### [at] webde> wrote:
> TheMightyZog schrieb:
> > I'm ashamed to have to ask this, but I just can not remember how to
> > calculate an angle in degrees if I know the opposite and adjacent side of a
> > right-angled triangle.
> >
> > My only excuse is that I'm an OAP and school was just years ago and then
> > radians were not taught!
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Zog
> >

> If it looks like this
>
>         alpha
>       /|
>    h /=|
>     /  | o
>    /  .|
>    -----
>
> alpha = atan (a/o)
> alpha = acot (o/a)
> alpha = asin (a/h)
>

> Is this what you wanted ... POVCODE?
>
> Marc

Better to use atan2(a,o).  Handles situation where o is zero.
Also note the results of these is in radians to convert to degrees use
degrees(A) in POV (or A*180/pi by hand).

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Thank you Marc, but I tried that the following
   rotate<atan(1/2),0,0>
should be the same as
  rotate<30,0,0>
but it is not and atan(1/1) does virtually nothing.
- or am I doing something wrong?

"Marc Schimmler" <mar### [at] webde> wrote in message
> TheMightyZog schrieb:
> > I'm ashamed to have to ask this, but I just can not remember how to
> > calculate an angle in degrees if I know the opposite and adjacent side
of a
> > right-angled triangle.
> >
> > My only excuse is that I'm an OAP and school was just years ago and then
> > radians were not taught!
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Zog
> >

> If it looks like this
>
>         alpha
>       /|
>    h /=|
>     /  | o
>    /  .|
>    -----
>
> alpha = atan (a/o)
> alpha = acot (o/a)
> alpha = asin (a/h)
>

> Is this what you wanted ... POVCODE?
>
> Marc

Post a reply to this message

TheMightyZog <Chr### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
> Thank you Marc, but I tried that the following
>    rotate<atan(1/2),0,0>
> should be the same as
>   rotate<30,0,0>

  It shouldn't because atan() returns radians while rotate takes degrees.

  Besides, you should really use atan2().

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Better to use atan2(a,o).  Handles situation where o is zero.
> Also note the results of these is in radians to convert to degrees use
> degrees(A) in POV (or A*180/pi by hand).
>
> -tgq

You are right with regrad to POV, I explained it more the mathematical
way ...

Marc

Post a reply to this message

 - it is a little off as I suspect it is using the arc of a radian circle
instead of straight lines

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Marc Schimmler <mar### [at] webde> wrote:
> > TheMightyZog schrieb:
> > > I'm ashamed to have to ask this, but I just can not remember how to
> > > calculate an angle in degrees if I know the opposite and adjacent side
of a
> > > right-angled triangle.
> > >
> > > My only excuse is that I'm an OAP and school was just years ago and
then
> > > radians were not taught!
> > >
> > > Help!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Zog
> > >

> > If it looks like this
> >
> >         alpha
> >       /|
> >    h /=|
> >     /  | o
> >    /  .|
> >    -----
> >
> > alpha = atan (a/o)
> > alpha = acot (o/a)
> > alpha = asin (a/h)
> >

> > Is this what you wanted ... POVCODE?
> >
> > Marc
>
> Better to use atan2(a,o).  Handles situation where o is zero.
> Also note the results of these is in radians to convert to degrees use
> degrees(A) in POV (or A*180/pi by hand).
>
> -tgq

Post a reply to this message

> TheMightyZog <Chr### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
> > Thank you Marc, but I tried that the following
> >    rotate<atan(1/2),0,0>
> > should be the same as
> >   rotate<30,0,0>
>
>   It shouldn't because atan() returns radians while rotate takes degrees.
>
>   Besides, you should really use atan2().

"TheMightyZog" <Chr### [at] HotPOPcom> wrote:
> Thanks tgq, but
>    rotate<(degrees(atan2(1,2))),0,0>
> is not exactly the same as
>   rotate<30,0,0>
>  - it is a little off as I suspect it is using the arc of a radian circle
> instead of straight lines

Of course this isn't the same.  the arctan of 1/2 is ~28.6 degrees not 30.
I.e., the tan of 30 is not 1/2, it's 0.577, you are thinking of sin(30)
which is O/H not O/A:

rotate<(degrees(asin(1/2))),0,0> = rotate<30,0,0>

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

TheMightyZog <Chr### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
>  - it is a little off as I suspect it is using the arc of a radian circle
> instead of straight lines

  What does that even mean?

--
                                                          - Warp