POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POVRay64, Vista64, can't set an option Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay64, Vista64, can't set an option (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: JeffBTX
Subject: POVRay64, Vista64, can't set an option
Date: 24 Apr 2007 23:20:01
Message: <web.462ec8ca179fc42f185125770@news.povray.org>
I installed the 64 bit version of POVRay a little while ago into Windows
Vista Home Premium (64 bit version). The POVRay version is
3.6.1.msvc8.win64

I followed Alain's advice in another thread (POVRay was deliberately
installed in C:POVRAY).

So far only one minor problem. In Options > Editor Window, I cannot clear
the "Create Backups" checkmark. I try to clear it, but when I click
options... again the checkmark stays there.

In povengine.ini, here is the only entry for the editor:

[Editor]
LastPath=C:POVRAYSCENESADVANCED

I have verified that editing from within POVRay does create backups of
source files. No big deal, I've always used NotePad anyway, but I wonder if
it can be fixed? I'm concerned that it might be a "Vista Thing".

-----

On another note, it works great on my new computer! I rendered Stackgold.pov
at a widescreen ratio : 1680x1050 (my new computer monitor's native
resolution), and changing the aspect ratio in the camera {} block
accordingly, and putting in a new entry into quickres.ini for this monitor
and favored AA settings.  Antialiasing was set at AA 0.3, using *AA Method
2*. It took 0d 00:21:11s to render (to a PNG file, with the render display
turned off via the command line: -d +FN). I then did a 4/3 image at
1400x1050: 0d 00:21:00s.

My old trusty Paint Shop Pro (version 5, and successfully patched to 5.03 -
I'm a registered user) seems to work just fine in Vista, so I am good to
go. Not sure yet how I will do animations - all of the animations that I
used to do were done using old 16 bit apps and even DOS apps (usually I
just used DTA and DFV in a DOS window). With Vista (especially the 64 bit
version) thats not supposed to work, so I guess I have to hunt for new
animation software and get used to another movie file format for POVRay.

Post a reply to this message