POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Vista and POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Vista and POV-Ray (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Vista and POV-Ray
Date: 24 Apr 2007 05:57:30
Message: <462dd48a$1@news.povray.org>
Carl nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 23-04-2007 22:44:
> "Yuri Hikado" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> If problems persist, open POV-Ray for Windows 3.6bin
>> right click on pvengine
>> select properties, then compatability tab
>> click on the box to run as windows xp sp2

>> Good luck!

> Sorry... I was out of town over the weekend.  Just now getting back to this.
>  I've now uninstalled POV-Ray and reinstalled it again.  This time I
> installed it to:

> C:UsersCarlPOV-Ray for Windows v3.6

> (There are a couple back slashes in there that I don't expect to show up
> when thos post goes through... not sure why.)
Try to double them. Here is a single one: \
Here is a double one: \\

--
Alain
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you

Post a reply to this message

From: Happy
Date: 29 Apr 2007 03:40:02
Message: <web.46344b2f892b73202185f1ca0@news.povray.org>
"Yuri Hikado" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Carl" <car### [at] semisouthcom> wrote:
> > Ok... My old PC died a few weeks ago and I'm now up and running with Vista
> > on a Core 2 Duo.  I had read that was the best processor for POV-Ray.
> > Anyways... I'm still getting stuff up and running and just hit my first
> > POV-Ray issue.  I was about to start work on a short animation and to that
> > end I wanted to edit the resolution INI file.  I click on tools, then click
> > on Edit resolution INI file, and up comes Notepad.  I make a few changes as
> > normal and try to save the changes and all I get is a cannot create the
> > file error message.  It simply says "Make sure that the path and file name
> > are correct."  They are and I'm pretty sure this in a Windows Vista issue
> > with all its new security.  I've now tried opening the file with several
> > other editor's and I've even now tried to edit the file in DOS mode all
> > with no luck.
> >
> > I'm sure there has to be a simple solution to this but for the life of me I
> > can't figure it out at the moment.
> >
> > Help,
> > Carl
>
> Try running as XP (sp2) in compatability mode. Vista doesn't like people
> editing files in the Program Files area, nor does it apparantly appreciate
> modifications to .ini files (I'm not sure if that's part of the Program
> Files thing or not). You might also install to another directory than the
> default Program Files and see if that helps.
>
> From what I've read, in compatability mode, it pretends to write to files in
> Program Files, but actually does it to a directory in your user files...
> meaning that another user on the same computer couldn't access your
> modifications.

As the saying goes "A day late and a dollar short" :).
Same happened to me (went from a win98 machine to a screaming 3 GHz duo
core).
Tried everything that you did Carl.

Then I remembered what I did to get v3.5 to run under win98:
Options menu> Script I/O > (picked "No Restrictions and checked "permit
read/write in current directory")
Worked like a charm and I'm able to use all of Vistas "charms".

As far as animation, haven't hit that one yet.

HTH
Happy