POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Parse Error in Stones1.inc Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Parse Error in Stones1.inc (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: neelakantankk
Subject: Parse Error in Stones1.inc
Date: 24 Mar 2007 04:50:01
Message: <web.4604f30532f391763533adc80@news.povray.org>
Hi, I am new to POV-Ray. I installed POV-Ray v3.6.1c after downloading the
Windows 32bit installer from the website. But it is giving me a parse error
in the file stones1.inc

The error message is

File: d: Program Files POV-Ray for Windows v3.6 INCLUDE stones1.inc  Line:
573
File Context (5 lines):
  color_map
   {[0.0, 0.3 color White
Parse Error: Expected 'color', undeclared identifier 'White' found instead

Please help me out here

Neelakantan

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 04:47:45 EST, "neelakantankk" <nee### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

>Hi, I am new to POV-Ray. I installed POV-Ray v3.6.1c after downloading the
>Windows 32bit installer from the website. But it is giving me a parse error
>in the file stones1.inc
>
>The error message is
>
>File: d: Program Files POV-Ray for Windows v3.6 INCLUDE stones1.inc  Line:
>573
>File Context (5 lines):
>  color_map
>   {[0.0, 0.3 color White
>Parse Error: Expected 'color', undeclared identifier 'White' found instead
>

>Please help me out here
>
>Neelakantan

You are getting that error because stones1.inc is calling a variable called
"White" which can be found in "colors.inc"

So in your pov file you need to have this line as well
#include "colors.inc"

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

 "neelakantankk" <nee### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Hi, I am new to POV-Ray. I installed POV-Ray v3.6.1c after downloading the
> Windows 32bit installer from the website. But it is giving me a parse error
> in the file stones1.inc
>
> The error message is
>
> File: d: Program Files POV-Ray for Windows v3.6 INCLUDE stones1.inc  Line:
> 573
> File Context (5 lines):
>   color_map
>    {[0.0, 0.3 color White
> Parse Error: Expected 'color', undeclared identifier 'White' found instead
>

> Please help me out here
>
> Neelakantan

just add :              #include "colors.inc"
in your scene before :  #include "stones1.inc"

--
klp

Post a reply to this message

kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote:
> just add :              #include "colors.inc"
> in your scene before :  #include "stones1.inc"

  Since stones1.inc uses colors.inc, it should include it itself.
I suppose there are historical reasons why it (still) doesn't do it.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote:
> > just add :              #include "colors.inc"
> > in your scene before :  #include "stones1.inc"
>
>   Since stones1.inc uses colors.inc, it should include it itself.
> I suppose there are historical reasons why it (still) doesn't do it.

in most cases, scenes use "colors.inc" and including "stones1.inc" is ok.
just including "stones.inc" is not a current usage for a povray'neewbies
:)))

--
klp

Post a reply to this message

Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24-03-2007 08:48:
> kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote:
>> just add :              #include "colors.inc"
>> in your scene before :  #include "stones1.inc"

>   Since stones1.inc uses colors.inc, it should include it itself.
> I suppose there are historical reasons why it (still) doesn't do it.

Maybe because the author used to always include colors.inc and assumed that
everybody always do that first thing in any scene.

--
Alain
All extremists should be taken out and shot.

Post a reply to this message

> Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24-03-2007 08:48:
> > kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote:
> >> just add :              #include "colors.inc"
> >> in your scene before :  #include "stones1.inc"
>
> >   Since stones1.inc uses colors.inc, it should include it itself.
> > I suppose there are historical reasons why it (still) doesn't do it.
>
> Maybe because the author used to always include colors.inc and assumed that
> everybody always do that first thing in any scene.
>
> --
> Alain

Thanks everybody. I was including stones1.inc before colors.ins Never though
that the order of the statements would be the cause of the error. :oops:
Thanks for the help.

Cheers :-)

Post a reply to this message

neelakantankk <nee### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Thanks everybody. I was including stones1.inc before colors.ins Never though
> that the order of the statements would be the cause of the error. :oops:

  It's not your fault. IMO stones1.inc should be fixed.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Just a question. If "stones.inc" uses "colors.inc" and i include
"colors.inc" in both "stones.inc" and my main file, will "colors.inc" be
parsed twice? or will it give an error?

Post a reply to this message

neelakantankk <nee### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Just a question. If "stones.inc" uses "colors.inc" and i include
> "colors.inc" in both "stones.inc" and my main file, will "colors.inc" be
> parsed twice?

  No, because there's an inclusion guard in stones1.inc:

#ifndef(Stones1_Inc_Temp)
#declare Stones1_Inc_Temp = version;

#end

--