POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : texture mapping confusion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  texture mapping confusion (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: octogonalMonk
Subject: texture mapping confusion
Date: 22 Feb 2007 23:10:00
Message: <web.45de67b222a89f19dcc6d95b0@news.povray.org>
Ok, here's what I'm currently doing:

I've got a fully functional, real-time application which more or less runs a
video using OpenGL.  The application exports the current 3D scene every
1/24th of a second into a VRML97 scene.  I've been using vrml2pov to
convert these scenes to a pov scene and then using povray to render the
scene and make the video be raytraced and independent as a video rather
than using a crappy huge OpenGL application.  For 95% of the video, this is
gravy.

However, one scene in the video has a brain, a human brain no less, which is
textured with a detailed texture, not just a pattern.  This texture has to
be applied to the brain exactly as it was made in Maya in order to be
accurate.  For the most part, the vrml2pov application works fine as most
of the geometry in the video just uses colors, but vrml2pov doesn't really
support texture mapping.  I'm pretty much just looking for some help on how
to go forward trying to make the textures work on my brain meshes.  So far
I've looked at image mapping, which aint good enough, and I think uv
mapping could work, but I don't really like the idea of writing my own
application to apply all the uv coordinates to the povray meshes.  We have
considered removing the textures themselves and just using geometry which
is a different color, the textures just show the swirls on the brain, so
making it geometry would be possible but isn't my responsibility, so unless
texturing is very difficult it isn't really an option.

I hope you all can follow what I'm trying to do, its kind of a convoluted
process so far and its just getting more complex.  Any help or advice you
can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
-oct