POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Generating huge world landscapes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:39 EDT (-0400)
  Generating huge world landscapes (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Alp
Subject: Generating huge world landscapes
Date: 26 Jan 2007 08:15:00
Message: <web.45b9fde9cbc0bf7c3ab25bbe0@news.povray.org>
Hi there, I am new to povray/rendering and spent some time in the last weeks
to find out a configuration that fits best for my goal.

It's simply described: I want to generate an earth-like world for a
browser-based game. It's always seen from above, so it's like a map. I want
to set rough parameters like "Here is a continent, there i need some
islands, here is a big mountain, this area is higher than that" and so on.
Like a round about description file. Then i need to render that scene with
povray.

What i found out already:
1) I think i need a good Heightfield generator that allows me to specify
some parameters and generates nice landscape hf-descriptions. Terrabrush
seems to be nice, it also supports 16-Bit Grayscale Export, but i guess it
lacks for my need to specify some basic data of the world. And it supports
Maps up to a size of 2048x2048 which could be too small. I found also
Terraformer, HF-Lab/Gforge, Wilbur, Genesis IV, Leveller Demo, Terrain
Maker, World Machine and surely Terragen. But none of them seem to fit my
wishes. I would appreciate some hints here. A combination of tools wouldnt
be a problem if it solves some problems though.

2) Assumed i have a huge wonderful heightfield. That's only the first part
of work, now i need some nice script to visualize a lovely landscape with
realistic Water, Beaches, Forests, Grass, Mountains and so on. No need for
clouds because we look to it from top down. Is there a good tutorial or
basic script for this purposes? I found the tierra-script of Jaime Vives
Piqueres and it's nice, but it's made for other angles than bird's eye view.

Thanks in advance for everyone who can help me in both matters.
Cheers
Alp

Post a reply to this message

> 1) I think i need a good Heightfield generator that allows me to specify
> some parameters and generates nice landscape hf-descriptions. Terrabrush
> seems to be nice, it also supports 16-Bit Grayscale Export, but i guess it
> lacks for my need to specify some basic data of the world. And it supports
> Maps up to a size of 2048x2048 which could be too small. I found also
> Terraformer, HF-Lab/Gforge, Wilbur, Genesis IV, Leveller Demo, Terrain
> Maker, World Machine and surely Terragen. But none of them seem to fit my
> wishes. I would appreciate some hints here. A combination of tools wouldnt
> be a problem if it solves some problems though.

I had the same problem with most of the height makers you listed above.
So I wrote my own.It use contour lines to make a height feild.
It's call LineMapper. It's at http://leroywhetstone.s5.com/
But I haven't tried it on truly huge height feild, So it might not help you.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Jan 2007 07:43:00
Message: <45bb48d4$1@news.povray.org>
You may have also a look at L3DT, at this site:

http://www.bundysoft.com/docs/doku.php?id=l3dt:about

Thomas