POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Am I being stupid or is this an bug? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Am I being stupid or is this an bug? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Hugo
Subject: Am I being stupid or is this an bug?
Date: 8 Jan 2007 23:15:00
Message: <web.45a314fb2ae0b0adf12e35320@news.povray.org>
I am trying to model a protein
[url=http://www.pdb.org/pdb/explore.do?structureId=1QYS] Top7 [/url]

It has about 600 atoms in it but I have two atoms that Pov-ray for Windows
3.6 errors out with a Parse Error: Expected 'numeric expression', > found
instead.

The truncated version of the file with the two errors lines (the other 600
odd work fine)

[code]
#include "colors.inc"

// camera
//#declare CamPos = <0.0, 2.0, -100.0>;
#declare CamPos = <0.0, 2.0, -70.0>;
camera {
  location  CamPos
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
  right     x*image_width/image_height
}

// Light
// An area light (creates soft shadows)
// WARNING: This special light can significantly slow down rendering times!
light_source {
  0*x                 // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb 1.0       // light's color
  area_light
  <8, 0, 0> <0, 0, 8> // lights spread out across this distance (x * z)
  4, 4                // total number of lights in grid (4x*4z = 16 lights)
  adaptive 0          // 0,1,2,3...
  jitter              // adds random softening of light
  circular            // make the shape of the light circular
  orient              // orient light
  translate <40, 80, -40>   // <x y z> position of light
}

   background { White }

// element colours
#declare C_colour = Black;
#declare N_colour = LightBlue;
#declare O_colour = Blue;
#declare Se_colour = Gold;

// element sizes
#declare C_size = .8;
#declare N_size = .8;
#declare O_size = .8;
#declare Se_size = .8;

// elements

#declare C_atom =
      sphere   { <0,0,0> C_size
         pigment  {
            colour  C_colour
                  }

            finish   {
               phong .75
               phong_size 25
                     }

               }

#declare N_atom =
      sphere   { <0,0,0> N_size
         pigment  {
            colour  N_colour
                  }
            finish   {
               phong .75
               phong_size 25
                     }
      }

#declare O_atom =
      sphere   { <0,0,0> O_size
         pigment  {
            colour  O_colour
                  }
         finish   {
               phong .75
               phong_size 25
                     }
      }

      #declare Se_atom =
      sphere   { <0,0,0> Se_size
         pigment  {
            colour  Se_colour
                  }
         finish   {
               phong .75
               phong_size 25
                     }
      }

declare top7 =
// What is wrong with this line ?
object {O_atom translate < 7.395 -3.014 -0.605> }
// What is wrong with this line ?

// What is wrong with this line ?
 object {O_atom translate < 3.225  -5.258  -1.112> }
// What is wrong with this line ?

object {top7}
[/code]

Does this error out anybody else?

My computer has 1G memory so that shouldn't be a problem?

It is running Rosetta@Home, but that shouldn't do anything surely, and the
usual array of AVG, Google desktop, Asus Probe, HDD Health etc...

If I change the last number of the last translate to a whole number it will
render it OK, but is sort of pointsless as it's supposed to be within the
protein.

Thanks for reading this far, even more thanks if you can help.

Hugo

Post a reply to this message

> object {O_atom translate < 7.395 -3.014 -0.605> }

You have no commas in the translate vector, so it thinks the minus signs are
subtraction and it thinks you have a vector with only one number in it.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message