POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : FreeBSD Installation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  FreeBSD Installation (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Basiclife
Subject: FreeBSD Installation
Date: 15 Nov 2006 15:00:01
Message: <web.455b719694010a57a4c94b1b0@news.povray.org>
Hi all, I've just got POVRay on my PC and I love it. I want to use it as a
scheduled job on my webserver. The server runs:

FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE

now I'mnew-ish to linux. I can cd, grep, ls, cat, vi, etc... but that's
pretty much the limit also, I've always used redhat so I'm not good on this
system :S

That aside, would someone please point me in the direction of a) a tarball
or similar that I can use for this OS and b) explain how to install it as a
NON-root user.

I believe it SHOULD be possible to install without being root, merely that
it outputs to some folders requiring root access.

Many thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message

> That aside, would someone please point me in the direction of a) a
> tarball or similar that I can use for this OS and b) explain how to
> install it as a NON-root user.

Read up on FreeBSD's packages & ports collections and the pkg_...
commands.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

> > That aside, would someone please point me in the direction of a) a
> > tarball or similar that I can use for this OS and b) explain how to
> > install it as a NON-root user.
> >

> Read up on FreeBSD's packages & ports collections and the pkg_...
> commands.
>
> Ingo

Very sorry for the long delay in replying. Will do so. Thank you!