POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Refraction in the eye Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Refraction in the eye (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: bergy
Subject: Refraction in the eye
Date: 22 Nov 2006 05:20:00
Message: <web.45642420c0c6e74c618bf8930@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I am new in pov ray, and I want to ask a question...

I want to create a human eye, and I have managed to do the basic things, by
reading material from here and there. However, what I want to do is to have
a precise model of the optics of the eye. For example, the cornea is not one
layer, but two layers with different refraction indexes.

So, my question is:

I want that the light refracts in the interface between the two layers. If I
use merge, will this be done? I know that merge removes the inner surfaces,
but in this case we are talking about different refraction indexes...
If I use union, will it just put (e.g) one sphere in the other, with the
internal sphere keeping all the refraction characteristics?

Thank you for your answer, sorry if it was answered somewhere else also...

Post a reply to this message

> I am new in pov ray, and I want to ask a question...
>
> I want to create a human eye, and I have managed to do the basic things, by
> reading material from here and there. However, what I want to do is to have
> a precise model of the optics of the eye. For example, the cornea is not one
> layer, but two layers with different refraction indexes.
>
> So, my question is:
>
> I want that the light refracts in the interface between the two layers. If I
> use merge, will this be done? I know that merge removes the inner surfaces,
> but in this case we are talking about different refraction indexes...
> If I use union, will it just put (e.g) one sphere in the other, with the
> internal sphere keeping all the refraction characteristics?
>
> Thank you for your answer, sorry if it was answered somewhere else also...

Union a sphere slightly smaller than the inner surface of the cornea for the
Vitreous Humour. (To avoid coincidental surfaces)

Eye, Aqueous humour 1.33
Eye, Cornea 1.38
Eye, Lens 1.41
Eye, Vitreous humour 1.34

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> "bergy" <chr### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am new in pov ray, and I want to ask a question...
> >
> > I want to create a human eye, and I have managed to do the basic things, by
> > reading material from here and there. However, what I want to do is to have
> > a precise model of the optics of the eye. For example, the cornea is not one
> > layer, but two layers with different refraction indexes.
> >
> > So, my question is:
> >
> > I want that the light refracts in the interface between the two layers. If I
> > use merge, will this be done? I know that merge removes the inner surfaces,
> > but in this case we are talking about different refraction indexes...
> > If I use union, will it just put (e.g) one sphere in the other, with the
> > internal sphere keeping all the refraction characteristics?
> >
> > Thank you for your answer, sorry if it was answered somewhere else also...
>

> Union a sphere slightly smaller than the inner surface of the cornea for the
> Vitreous Humour. (To avoid coincidental surfaces)

> Eye, Aqueous humour 1.33
> Eye, Cornea 1.38
> Eye, Lens 1.41
> Eye, Vitreous humour 1.34
>
> Stephen

Thanks, Stephen, I'll do that...

I've put the one sphere inside the other with union, it seems ok, but I'll
check your approach for better...

Christos

Post a reply to this message

> Don?t use Merge, use Difference to subtract the spheres for the cornea. Then
> Union a sphere slightly smaller than the inner surface of the cornea for the
> Vitreous Humour. (To avoid coincidental surfaces)

  Are you sure it makes a difference to use an outer layer consisting of
the difference of two spheres, with a third inner sphere inside it,
compared to just putting one sphere inside the other?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message