POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : More on memory problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  More on memory problem (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: More on memory problem
Date: 19 Jun 2006 11:22:15
Message: <4496c127$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> I am a little confused though - I thought POV-Ray used virtual memory when
> it runs out of physical RAM. In which case, it should merely slow down
> instead of aborting or crashing...

POV-Ray can only use as much memory as the operating system and hardware
limitations allow. Hardware limits 32-bit versions of POV-Ray to 4 GB of
memory, and operating system limits POV-Ray to 2 to 3 GB depending on the
operating system configuration. There is nothing POV-Ray can do about either
of those limits.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message