POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Chess Piece Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Chess Piece (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: wizkidguy
Subject: Chess Piece
Date: 17 Feb 2006 23:05:00
Message: <web.43f69c854b33c4a4bbb7f5d50@news.povray.org>
What would be the best way to make chesspieces? i have thought to try
surfaces of revolutions, and lathes, and it is very difficult. is there
some other way to try it, that i am not aware of?
thanks for anything.
michael

Post a reply to this message

> What would be the best way to make chesspieces? i have thought to try
> surfaces of revolutions, and lathes, and it is very difficult. is there
> some other way to try it, that i am not aware of?

  I made my chess pieces with CSG using just basic primitives. You can
probably see all the primitives I used to make them:

http://warp.povusers.org/pics/chess.jpg
http://warp.povusers.org/pics/chess2.jpg

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"wizkidguy" <gov### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> What would be the best way to make chesspieces? i have thought to try
> surfaces of revolutions, and lathes, and it is very difficult. is there
> some other way to try it, that i am not aware of?
> thanks for anything.
> michael

Maybe you want to have a look at chess2.pov which comes with povray and is
located in the scenes/advanced folder in your POV-Ray directory. In this
file all the pieces are done with pure CSG!

Regards Roman

Post a reply to this message

"wizkidguy" <gov### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> What would be the best way to make chesspieces? i have thought to try
> surfaces of revolutions, and lathes, and it is very difficult. is there
> some other way to try it, that i am not aware of?
> thanks for anything.
> michael

with lathe items for the more complex curves. Example (dimensions scaled
from a real chess piece):

#declare Pawn = union {
   cylinder { <0, 0, 0>, <0, 3, 0>, 11.5 }
   lathe {
      cubic_spline
      7,
      <5.5, 2>, <10.5, 3>, <11.5, 5.5>, <11, 8>, <8.5, 11>, <7.75, 13.5>,
<8, 16>
   }
      cylinder { <0, 13.49, 0>, <0, 13.5, 0>, 7.75 }
      lathe {
         quadratic_spline
         3,
         <12, 12.5>, <6, 13.5>, <3, 27>
      }
      lathe {
         linear_spline
         3,
         <3, 27>, <7.5, 30>, <3, 33>
      }
      sphere { <0, 39, 0>, 7 }
      scale 0.4
      translate <10, 0, 30>
}

file, where you can play with an object and do lots of changes and quick
renders before pasting the final code into your main scene.

F38

Post a reply to this message