POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Washed out colors using image maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  Washed out colors using image maps (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: ZainAnak
Subject: Washed out colors using image maps
Date: 21 Nov 2005 20:55:00
Message: <web.438278b39d78f302947aaf140@news.povray.org>
Hey all.  I'm using a tool my friend wrote for making Pov scenes- it
basically takes my 3D models and textures, and builds a simple pov scene
with it, using the textures in image maps for the pigments.

The problem is that my daytime renders always come out very washed out.  I
usually use a skylight with a faint blue hue, and a white sun light.
Nothing fancy, really.  I tried changing the diffuse values for the
materials, I tried downing the brightness of the skylight, and I tried
changing the hue and intensity of the sun, with no success.  Basically,
each has the effect you'd expect- lower diffuse makes the materials darker,
lower brightness on skylight makes the whole scene darker, etc.  But the
actual color saturation remains horrible.

The worst is in textures with bright colors, like reds or blues- everything
becomes very, very washed out.  Another example would be an airport runway,
with black asphalt and yellow stripes.  The black asphalt and yellow
stripes become almost the same color.  Very unnatural!

Here is an example for one of my material definitions:

texture {
      average
      texture_map {
            [pigment {
                   uv_mapping image_map {
                        tga "c:/images/wall3.tga"
                   }
            }
            finish {
                   ambient <0,0,0>
                   diffuse 0.56
            }]
      }
}

The "average" is for some multitexturing stuff I'm not using right now.

Here is an example sun from my scene:

light_source {
       <300, 200, 300>
       rgb 1.2
}

My skylight is just a light blue, with rgb values of around 0.6, 0.7, 1.0.
I've tried setting it to just grey, which helps, but still there is
washout.  Lastly, my radiosity settings are fairly standard.  Recursion
limit is 1, brightness is 1, and count is 50.

Any help you guys could give me to get my textures show up better and more
vibrant would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
ZA

Post a reply to this message