POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Modeling clouds Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:35 EDT (-0400)
  Modeling clouds (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Carl
Subject: Modeling clouds
Date: 28 Apr 2005 14:10:01
Message: <web.42712581989a5fa770dc520d0@news.povray.org>
But not your normal clouds...

I'm going to try and copy these clouds so I can have them flying over my
arena.

http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds01.png
http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds02.png
http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds03.png
http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds04.png
http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds05.png
http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds06.png

Any tips?  I think I can get something close by modeling each cloud by
itself as a prism and playing with a very complicated finish/texture.
However I think there might be a better/simplier way if I could define the
sky as a 2D array full of 1's and 0's.  The 1's being a square filled with
cloud and the 0's being open sky.  However I'm at a loss as to how to turn
such an array into the shape I need to finish/texture and aside from
manually creating the array to been with I'm not sure as to the best way to
create the array.  I was hoping I could specify a sky that was 20% cloudy
and fill the array with 80% zeros and 20% ones and have some procedural way
the ones would cluster themselves together to form the clouds.  In my mind
the array should be periodic so clouds could wrap around the edges.  I
think that would make animating them simplier. I'm open to tips or code
anyone is willing to share.  If I'm out in left field and there is a better
way to do this let me know.  If I have time this weekend I'll make one
cloud using prism to see if I can get the texture I want however I think
that should be the easy part.

Thanks,
Carl

Post a reply to this message

Carl nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-04-28 14:03:
> But not your normal clouds...
>
> I'm going to try and copy these clouds so I can have them flying over my
> arena.
>
> http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds01.png
> http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds02.png
> http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds03.png
> http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds04.png
> http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds05.png
> http://www.sketchdomain.com/Screencaps/Clouds06.png
>
> Any tips?  I think I can get something close by modeling each cloud by
> itself as a prism and playing with a very complicated finish/texture.
> However I think there might be a better/simplier way if I could define the
> sky as a 2D array full of 1's and 0's.  The 1's being a square filled with
> cloud and the 0's being open sky.  However I'm at a loss as to how to turn
> such an array into the shape I need to finish/texture and aside from
> manually creating the array to been with I'm not sure as to the best way to
> create the array.  I was hoping I could specify a sky that was 20% cloudy
> and fill the array with 80% zeros and 20% ones and have some procedural way
> the ones would cluster themselves together to form the clouds.  In my mind
> the array should be periodic so clouds could wrap around the edges.  I
> think that would make animating them simplier. I'm open to tips or code
> anyone is willing to share.  If I'm out in left field and there is a better
> way to do this let me know.  If I have time this weekend I'll make one
> cloud using prism to see if I can get the texture I want however I think
> that should be the easy part.
>
> Thanks,
> Carl

You may try with a cels pattern with a texture_map like:
texture_map{[0 CloudTexture][0.2 CloudTexture][0.2 Clear][1 Clear]}
That way, you should get about 20% cloud coverage randomly placed.
Apply that texture to a plane or sphere over your scene.
If you want your clouds to have some thickness, you may want to do the same but using
dencity in a
media between 2 planes. Have your media have a large dencity in the used areas.

Alain