POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Volume and Area Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Volume and Area (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: kmac99
Subject: Volume and Area
Date: 18 Mar 2005 12:15:00
Message: <web.423b0c5e64a8b38e5f8006bd0@news.povray.org>
Are there any provisions for POVRay to output statistics such as area or
volume of a single object or some other correlated measure?

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Rafal Maj Raf256
Subject: Re: Volume and Area
Date: 18 Mar 2005 13:01:51
Message: <14251442.5LNB2etjWF@raf256com>
kmac99 wrote:

> Are there any provisions for POVRay to output statistics such as area or
> volume of a single object or some other correlated measure?

There was a function that can return if given point is insade an object - it
can be done using Trace. Use it meany times on object bounding box and
calculate hits/misses

--
Rafal Maj Raf256

Post a reply to this message

> Are there any provisions for POVRay to output statistics such as area or
> volume of a single object or some other correlated measure?

  I believe that problem borders the impossible in the general case.

  You can approximate the volume of an object by taking samples, but that's
inaccurate and slow.