POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image masks? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:31:24 EDT (-0400)
  image masks? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mienai
Subject: image masks?
Date: 14 Feb 2005 01:55:01
Message: <web.42104a269bbb316bdfffe15f0@news.povray.org>
So I have an image that I want to mask onto a surface to make only part of
it reflective (it's a logo).  I can place the image map on the surface and
get the excess transparent but when I apply the finish, the transparent
part picks this up as well so I get specular where I don't want them.
Anyone know how to fix/get around this?

Post a reply to this message

> So I have an image that I want to mask onto a surface to make only part of
> it reflective (it's a logo).

'material_map' might be all you need, so give that a lookup in the doc/help.

Bob Hughes

Post a reply to this message

> So I have an image that I want to mask onto a surface to make only part of
> it reflective (it's a logo).  I can place the image map on the surface and
> get the excess transparent but when I apply the finish, the transparent
> part picks this up as well so I get specular where I don't want them.
> Anyone know how to fix/get around this?

Not quite sure what you have and havenot done but it reads like you need
to have your desired finish parallel your transparency?

ie

#declare T_Logo =    //not transparent
texture {
	pigment { ...some colour... transmit 0 }
	finish { .... reflection 1 }
};

#declare T_Ground =   //transparent
texture {
	pigment { rgb 1 transmit 1 }
	finish { reflection 0 diffuse 0 specular 0 }
};

object {
	...object...
	texture {
		image_pattern {
			sys "logo.bmp"
			texture_map {
				[0 texture { T_Logo }]
				[1 texture { T_Ground }]
			}
		}
	}
}

Or maybe I am not understanding the problem?