POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : making spheres transparent... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:57 EDT (-0400)
  making spheres transparent... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Dav shef
Subject: making spheres transparent...
Date: 12 Jan 2005 10:45:00
Message: <web.41e545d31f615438e76370fa0@news.povray.org>
Hi All,

I have a box full of spheres and I'd like to make them transparent.

Looking at the documentation files on POVray, I used the command rgbft
specifying the filtering and the transmission of the light through the
object.

It works fine. However, when 2, 3 or more spheres are aligned (with the
camera position), they "overlap" and create a very dark region which kills
the whole effect of transparency of my spheres.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem ?

thanks

Dav

Post a reply to this message

> It works fine. However, when 2, 3 or more spheres are aligned (with the
> camera position), they "overlap" and create a very dark region which kills
> the whole effect of transparency of my spheres.

  http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#maxtracelevel

  (Btw, unrelated to the problem itself, but if you want to add a cool,
even though resource-killer effect, add "interior { ior 1.5 }" to the
spheres... :) )

Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-01-12 11:00:
> Dav_shef <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>>It works fine. However, when 2, 3 or more spheres are aligned (with the
>>camera position), they "overlap" and create a very dark region which kills
>>the whole effect of transparency of my spheres.
>

>   http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#maxtracelevel
>
>   (Btw, unrelated to the problem itself, but if you want to add a cool,
> even though resource-killer effect, add "interior { ior 1.5 }" to the
> spheres... :) )

Then add some dispersion:
interior{ior 1.5 dispersion 1.05}

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-01-12 11:00:
> > Dav_shef <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> >
> >>It works fine. However, when 2, 3 or more spheres are aligned (with the
> >>camera position), they "overlap" and create a very dark region which kills
> >>the whole effect of transparency of my spheres.
> >

> >   http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#maxtracelevel

that works !! it definitly was the max_trace_level that has to be
increased...
Cheers

> >   (Btw, unrelated to the problem itself, but if you want to add a cool,
> > even though resource-killer effect, add "interior { ior 1.5 }" to the
> > spheres... :) )
> >
> Then add some dispersion:
> interior{ior 1.5 dispersion 1.05}

I've tried this effect..but it sort of make the whole thing a bit messy.