POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Differents texture on the same object ... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Differents texture on the same object ... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: destroyedlolo
Subject: Differents texture on the same object ...
Date: 9 Jul 2004 19:59:33
Message: <40EF3F04.2070501@yahoo.com>
Hi all,

I'm working on a way to recreate existing landscape using POVRay. I got
DEM data about the real area (VistaPro DEM data), transformed it to PNG
image to generate HF and ... everything is working fine :-)

Now, my question is : how can I recreate vegetation or material ?

I'm thinking to create a sort of "image" to map on my HF where I can
tell to POV :
- Ok, if a pixel in light green, use a grass like texture,
- if it's dark green, it's a tree area,
- if it's blu, use water texture with waves,
- if it's gray, it's granit ...

How can I do it ?

An example is welcome as I'm restarting only to play with Pov after a
very long time ...

Thanks

Laurent

Post a reply to this message

destroyedlolo nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 09/07/2004 20:57... :

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a way to recreate existing landscape using POVRay. I
> got DEM data about the real area (VistaPro DEM data), transformed it
> to PNG image to generate HF and ... everything is working fine :-)
>
> Now, my question is : how can I recreate vegetation or material ?
>
> I'm thinking to create a sort of "image" to map on my HF where I can
> tell to POV :
> - Ok, if a pixel in light green, use a grass like texture,
> - if it's dark green, it's a tree area,
> - if it's blu, use water texture with waves,
> - if it's gray, it's granit ...
>
> How can I do it ?
>
> An example is welcome as I'm restarting only to play with Pov after a
> very long time ...
>
> Thanks
>
> Laurent

If you have only a few discreete values, you can convert your image to a
paleted one (16 or 256 colours) and use the index to decide what texture
to use. I can't give you an example as I never done that, but it's
mentioned somewhere in the documentation. Look for "texture_map".

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: destroyedlolo
Date: 12 Jul 2004 06:00:01
Message: <web.40f255213d2188ebe5987fa60@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote:
> > Laurent
> >
> If you have only a few discreete values, you can convert your image to a
> paleted one (16 or 256 colours) and use the index to decide what texture
> to use. I can't give you an example as I never done that, but it's
> mentioned somewhere in the documentation. Look for "texture_map".
>
> Alain

Ok, Merci Alain :-)

It's exactly what I'm looking for :-)
And I found scene/advanced/landscape.pov (searching for texture_map example)
a script doing what I wan't to do.

No, I will create a PNG file to define texture to USE and I'll try to
recreate Annecy vallee in POV.

Thanks for your help :-)

Laurent