POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help with detailed floor Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Help with detailed floor (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Josh
Subject: Help with detailed floor
Date: 11 Jul 2004 11:50:00
Message: <web.40f1614e9926660e4f812c160@news.povray.org>
Hi.  I have been using Pov-Ray for about a week and have started a few
projects.  One of them is a little scene for when I start school next fall
(it is a skull on a dungeon floor).  I got a skull model and have the
textures just how I want them, but the floor is giving me problems.  I want
it to be more detailed than I currently know how.  Can you guys give me
some suggestions?
Here is what I have to far: http://dxhut.xepher.net/pics/s.jpg

Also, how can I get the cracks between bricks to look deeper??  I tried
increasing the float value after the "brick" keyword without success.
Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message

"Josh" <qba### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

    Hi Josh, welcome...  :)

> Hi.  I have been using Pov-Ray for about a week and have started a
few
> projects.  One of them is a little scene for when I start school
next fall
> (it is a skull on a dungeon floor).  I got a skull model and have
the
> textures just how I want them, but the floor is giving me problems.
I want
> it to be more detailed than I currently know how.  Can you guys give
me
> some suggestions?
> Here is what I have to far: http://dxhut.xepher.net/pics/s.jpg
>
> Also, how can I get the cracks between bricks to look deeper??  I
tried
> increasing the float value after the "brick" keyword without
success.

    Well, it's not a bad start, the skull looks good. Personally, I
would lose the brick statement altogether for this. I think, (and I
may be wrong), that the PoV brick statement is for relatively distant
images altogether. Try using superellipsoids for the bricks/slabs,
(see docs). This way, you can introduce a plane as deep as you want,
and with the textures/normals, (reduce your normals, bumps, they're
too big), and pigment that you want.

     If not superellipsoids, then try a program like Wings 3D, (free -
http://www.wings3d.com/), to model your bricks or slabs, and then put
a plane just underneath them.

   Also, try using a+0.0 antialiasing - it will smooth most things in
PoV.

   Good luck, and keep on Povin'... It's worth it in the end.  :)

     ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

Thanks a ton, man.  The superellipsoids work great!

Post a reply to this message

> Thanks a ton, man.  The superellipsoids work great!

 My pleasure. How's it looking? Just yell if you need anything else...

  ~Steve~