POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Making a glowing object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Making a glowing object (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: James
Subject: Making a glowing object
Date: 30 Jun 2004 03:50:01
Message: <web.40e27015de0a5dd0afc85be30@news.povray.org>
I am trying to model a spaceship.  I am wanting to put red and gree running
lights on it, but I am totally stumped as to how to make glowing light bulb
type objects that look realistic.  Any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

"James" <bra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> I am trying to model a spaceship.  I am wanting to put red and gree
running
> lights on it, but I am totally stumped as to how to make glowing light
bulb
> type objects that look realistic.  Any help would be appreciated.

A simple answer might be to make the bulb "hollow" set the texture to use
rgbf and stick a light source in it.

You might also try radiosity with a positive ambient setting on the bulbs
texture.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 30 Jun 2004 08:33:33
Message: <40e2b31d$1@news.povray.org>
James wrote:

> I am trying to model a spaceship.  I am wanting to put red and gree running
> lights on it, but I am totally stumped as to how to make glowing light bulb
> type objects that look realistic.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here's what I did in my heating element scene. This may give you a good
start at creating a glowing object. This scene will not replicate the
heating element, but should give you a nice glowing object:

global_settings
{
     // These are final radiosity settings,
     radiosity
     {
         pretrace_end 0.01 // Testing 0.05
         count 350      // Testing 100
         low_error_factor 0.3
         nearest_count 10 // Testing 5-8
         minimum_reuse 0.001 // Comment out for Testing
         media on    // This is needed if emitting media is to have
             // an effect on surrounding objects
     }
}

// Because Ambient objects emit light with radiosity, set all finishes
to ambient 0 by default
default { finish { ambient 0 }}

plane { y,-1  pigment { color rgb 1 } }

     // This cylinder contains the glowing pattern
     cylinder { <10, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 0>, 1 pigment { color rgbt 1.0 }
         hollow
         interior
         {
             media
             {
         // Important part: Emitting media. Notice the scalar
         // multiply. Adjust to suit tastes/requirements
                 emission rgb <1.0, 0.7, 0.2>*1

         // This is the pattern I am using for density.
         // You may want to try something like spherical with
         // rgb values running from 0 to 1.

                 density
                 {
                     gradient x
                     sine_wave
                     density_map
                     {
                         [0 rgb <1,0.3,0>] // In this case, I wanted it
                         [1 rgb 1]       // to go to orange
                     }
                     scale 10
                     translate x*3
                 }
             }
         }
     rotate y*35
     translate z*20+y*.9
     }

camera {

     location <0, 10, 0>
     look_at <0, 0, 20>
}

light_source { <-5, 10, 20> color rgb 1
     area_light x*10,y*10,20,20
     circular
     orient
     adaptive 1
     }

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 30 Jun 2004 08:51:33
Message: <40e2b755@news.povray.org>
Josh <som### [at] microsoftcom> wrote:
> A simple answer might be to make the bulb "hollow" set the texture to use
> rgbf and stick a light source in it.

  Might be, but isn't.

  Firstly, 'hollow' has nothing to do with lighting or anything else.
'hollow' is 100% related to media and fog. When no media nor fog is
involved, 'hollow' has absolutely no effect whatsoever on how the objects
are rendered.
  (Sure, it's a completely misleading term, but it's too late to change it
to something more descriptive...)

  Secondly, making the object semitransparent and putting a light source
inside can give some lighting effect, but usually not what he wanted.
  Most probably what he wants is not to put a light source inside the
object but define a high ambient (1 or bigger) for the object.
  If he wants the object to cast light to its surroundings then he can
put a fading light source inside and make the object shadowless.

From: James
Date: 7 Jul 2004 09:25:00
Message: <web.40ebf897bb1bd81cee6011a60@news.povray.org>
Thanks Mike.  That seemed to work.