POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texturing height_field Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Texturing height_field (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Eric
Subject: Texturing height_field
Date: 15 Apr 2004 02:35:00
Message: <web.407e2be9578c3af63cec3e620@news.povray.org>
I created a heightfield that renders just fine.  I then took the (windows
bmp) height map and colorized it in an attempt to show altitude (very low
altitude values blue like water, higher values green tones and the highest
values more yellow).

When I look at the colorized version in a paint program, the pattern of the
colors visually matches the visual (black & white) pattern of the height
field exactly.

When I set up a POV scene and place the camera above the height field
looking down, the wrong values are taken for coloration - the yellow values
appear to be used for middle-height altitudes, rather than, as I expect,
for texturing whatever "pixel" happens to be under that color on the height
map.

Am I missing something here?

Images and code snippet are posted at http://www.johannsen.us/pov

Post a reply to this message