POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Detail on curved surfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Detail on curved surfaces? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Dave!
Subject: Detail on curved surfaces?
Date: 6 Oct 2003 14:50:01
Message: <web.3f81b835ce1049d7f0000e6e0@news.povray.org>
I'm brand new 'round these parts, and I'm afraid I have a ton of questions
that are probably really basic.  Here's the first of what will probably be
many:

I'm working on a rendering that will feature surface detail on a sphere,
similar to the way a cylinder (of opposing color) would intersect that
sphere.
At the moment, I'm using this basic format:

#declare thingie = union {
   intersection {
   cylinder {<-4,0,-20>,<-4,0,-10>,4}
   sphere {<0,0,0>,15}
   pigment {rgb <.6,.6,.8>}
   sphere {<0,0,0>,15
   clipped_by {cylinder {<-4,0,-20>,<-4,0,-10>,4 inverse}}
   pigment {rgb <1,1,1>}
   }

That's probably not quite accurate, but I hope you get the idea.  I'm
guessing that POV-Ray is able to do this (namely, putting a dot exactly on
the sphere's surface) in one step rather than in a pair of
"intersection/clipped_by" statements.

Does this make sense?  Can anyone suggest a more streamlined method to
accomplish the same thing?  I intend to use more complicated interplays than
circle-and-cylinder, and my current route seems largely redundant.  I'm also
not
really interested in image mapping as a solution, since I'd rather stick
with
simple geometric forms at this point.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any insight.

     Dave!

Post a reply to this message

"Dave!" <orr### [at] no_spam_pleaseexcitecom> wrote in message
> I'm brand new 'round these parts, and I'm afraid I have a ton of questions
> that are probably really basic.

Congrat's on your newness! Start asking...

> I'm working on a rendering that will feature surface detail on a sphere,
> similar to the way a cylinder (of opposing color) would intersect that
> sphere.
>
> #declare thingie = union {
>    intersection {
>    cylinder {<-4,0,-20>,<-4,0,-10>,4}
>    sphere {<0,0,0>,15}
>    pigment {rgb <.6,.6,.8>}
>    sphere {<0,0,0>,15
>    clipped_by {cylinder {<-4,0,-20>,<-4,0,-10>,4 inverse}}
>    pigment {rgb <1,1,1>}
>    }
>
> Does this make sense?  Can anyone suggest a more streamlined method to
> accomplish the same thing?  I intend to use more complicated interplays
than
> circle-and-cylinder, and my current route seems largely redundant.  I'm
also
> not
> really interested in image mapping as a solution, since I'd rather stick
> with
> simple geometric forms at this point.

Yes, and unfortunately this is what CSG is all about. Only thing that might
prove simpler is to use a difference {} with 'inverse' instead. Not a great
improvement. Well, let's see:

union {
difference { // create curved faced cylinder end
 cylinder {
  <-4,0,-20>,<-4,0,-10>,4
 }
 sphere {
  0,15
  inverse // within is without, if you understand
 }
 pigment {rgb <.6,.6,.8>}
} // end difference
 sphere { // sphere, of course
  0,15
  pigment {rgb <1,1,1>}
 }
} // end union

Interestingly enough, this seems to work okay. No visible coincident
surfaces even though a hole wasn't removed from the sphere. I'd almost have
expected to see trouble with that surface (and it might, under other
viewpoints, scales, etc.).

There would need to be some kind of retainment which allows keeping of an
object after the CSG procedure. Might be a nice idea, if plausible. That
sphere would be reused without adding it in a second time, if such a thing
existed.

Maybe someone else has a thought on this.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

>I'm brand new 'round these parts, and I'm afraid I have a ton of questions
>that are probably really basic.  Here's the first of what will probably be
>many:
>
>I'm working on a rendering that will feature surface detail on a sphere,
>similar to the way a cylinder (of opposing color) would intersect that
>sphere.
>At the moment, I'm using this basic format:
>
>#declare thingie = union {
>   intersection {
>   cylinder {<-4,0,-20>,<-4,0,-10>,4}
>   sphere {<0,0,0>,15}
>   pigment {rgb <.6,.6,.8>}
>   sphere {<0,0,0>,15
>   clipped_by {cylinder {<-4,0,-20>,<-4,0,-10>,4 inverse}}
>   pigment {rgb <1,1,1>}
>   }
>
>That's probably not quite accurate, but I hope you get the idea.  I'm
>guessing that POV-Ray is able to do this (namely, putting a dot exactly on
>the sphere's surface) in one step rather than in a pair of
>"intersection/clipped_by" statements.

Take a look at the "object" pattern. It allows a surface to have a
different texture wherever it intersects a second invisible object. Your
thingie can be coded like this:

#declare thingie = sphere {<0,0,0>,15
  pigment {
    object {