POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : depositing media photons Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  depositing media photons (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Penners
Subject: depositing media photons
Date: 15 Aug 2003 21:10:01
Message: <web.3f3d840342ce26eef779e6db0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
  I am wondering what the stipulation is for a media photon to be deposited
within a media.  In particular if I have a light source and it illuminates
some media and then hits a surface, like a floor, why are no media photons
stored?  An example of this would be the "media1.pov" example file given in
the example scenes.  There are three spotlights illuminating a sphere with
media surrounding it.  But no media photons are actually stored.

Thanks for any insight!

Post a reply to this message

 "Penners" <pen### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>   I am wondering what the stipulation is for a media photon to be deposited
> within a media.  In particular if I have a light source and it illuminates
> some media and then hits a surface, like a floor, why are no media photons
> stored?  An example of this would be the "media1.pov" example file given in
> the example scenes.  There are three spotlights illuminating a sphere with
> media surrounding it.  But no media photons are actually stored.

If the media is lit directly, there is no need to spend memory on
photons, POV can find the lighting using the light source. If the floor
were reflective, media photons would be deposited in the reflected beam.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

>If the media is lit directly, there is no need to spend memory on
>photons, POV can find the lighting using the light source. If the floor
>were reflective, media photons would be deposited in the reflected beam.

I followed your advice and added photons to "media1." then made the floor
and walls reflective, but I still don't get any photons stored.  Am I
missing something?

Penners

Post a reply to this message

 "Penners" <pen### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I followed your advice and added photons to "media1." then made the floor
> and walls reflective, but I still don't get any photons stored.  Am I
> missing something?

Without looking at code, I can't really say any more. Try looking at the
optics.pov demo file for ideas.