POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strangeness with Parallel Lights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Strangeness with Parallel Lights (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights
Date: 11 Feb 2004 11:49:54
Message: <402a5d32$1@news.povray.org>
> Sorry my bad I don't use planes that often and was confusing my terms;
> again sorry, of course plane{y,y} should have been plane{y,1} etc. Odd
> that when I code I don't tend to get it wrong but do when I try to post
> it in a newsgroup for the whole world to see :)

It is because there are 5+ billion people watching every single letter
you write to this newsgroup - you just get a little nervous ;-) But
you'll get used to it...

Severi

Post a reply to this message

From: Hughes, B
Date: 11 Feb 2004 12:29:50
Message: <402a668e@news.povray.org>
"Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote in message
> interesting lighting techniques. Out of curiosity as parallel can be used
> with any light_source do you know the effects of combining it with area
> lights I'm imagining an area light in the XY plane with a 45 degree
> point_at would a plane be created for each light?

Hmmm. I don't really know the answer to that. Common sense would be yes to
that, since each point in the array ought to look toward the point_at
instead of a central point source... except you know how area_light behaves
for specular hilights, right? Single point. So it could be that it becomes
singular in the same way.

Only shadows are treated to the multiplicity of the arrays, which makes it
all about shadows. Maybe it actually skews along lines between array
rectangle and point_at vector. Or could be that it makes the array behave as
though 'orient' were used.

Something to check into. Now you've got me rethinking, even moreso, what I
thought I already knew. Like so many others, I typically go about finding
out about such things by experimentation. I.e. scene creation first, then
discovery of the results. I'm not always working from the documentation.

Bob H.