POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : virtual ie photorealistic v model reality, then 'photo`ise it' ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  virtual ie photorealistic v model reality, then 'photo`ise it' ? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: stephen parkinson
Subject: virtual ie photorealistic v model reality, then 'photo`ise it' ?
Date: 20 Mar 2004 04:18:24
Message: <405c0c60@news.povray.org>
i'm having problems, i keep looking at items and thinking how do i do
that in povray.

where i go outside for smoking at work, there's the wall of building, at
the base, its got a 18" wide strip of mixed pebbles/ chalk gravel, size
various upto say 1.5". and then a standard road kerb type edging.

surface under gravel is not smooth, thickness of gravel varies
bits of soil are visible, bits of moss etc

would someone have ideas about how to proceed?

the documentation & tutorial do a fair job of command description, but
to me at least, its rather vague on the technique and combining for what
i think of something fairly basic.

underlaying soil - try using ..
multilayer texture ? pattern_map??

textures patterns, and all sorts of map commands/modifiers
generating individual gravel bits on to that, how, seems overly
complicated or is it just an overall appearance that we are after

rather confused

you really dont want to see my attempts at modelling a re-arrangement of
the sitting room, i think i had ideas of an animated camera look around,
they've have now been scaled to crawling before attempting flight.

anyhelp / pointers to some techniques / tips / howto to do simple items/
tutorials with a different perspective would be much appreciated.

stephen

Post a reply to this message

 stephen parkinson <ste### [at] zmemw16demoncouk> wrote:

> i'm having problems, i keep looking at items and thinking how do i do
> that in povray.

Typical symptoms of raytracer's syndrome. There is no cure.

> where i go outside for smoking at work, there's the wall of building, at
> the base, its got a 18" wide strip of mixed pebbles/ chalk gravel, size
> various upto say 1.5". and then a standard road kerb type edging.
>
> surface under gravel is not smooth, thickness of gravel varies
> bits of soil are visible, bits of moss etc
>
> would someone have ideas about how to proceed?

It depends on the type of scene. If you don't see it close up, you can
fake the overall appearance with a complex texture. Make textures for
moss, gravel, etc, and mix them up in a texture map with something like
a turbulated bozo pattern. Maybe sprinkle some real stones around to
make it look more real.

> anyhelp / pointers to some techniques / tips / howto to do simple items/
> tutorials with a different perspective would be much appreciated.

Try different things, play around, experiment. Look through the old
messages on these newsgroups for ideas...there are many surprising ways
things can be combined, many things that are discovered by chance. For
example, the lace pattern Tek produced here:

<http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3ff5b4c9@news.po
vray.org%3E/>

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>