POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Exporting geometric data Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Exporting geometric data (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Andrea Vedaldi
Subject: Exporting geometric data
Date: 12 May 2004 00:35:00
Message: <web.40a1a8d1c8986a1fed2dde890@news.povray.org>
I'm wondering if it is possible to export geometric data during the
rendering. In particular, I'm intrested in tracking some points in the
scene and I would like POV-Ray to export (ASCII file?) the coordinates of
the  points projected onto the image plane, perhaps together with other
informations, like visibility. Is that possible with the program "out of
the box" or do I need to code a patch?

Andrea

Post a reply to this message

>I'm wondering if it is possible to export geometric data during the
>rendering. In particular, I'm intrested in tracking some points in the
>scene and I would like POV-Ray to export (ASCII file?) the coordinates of
>the  points projected onto the image plane, perhaps together with other
>informations, like visibility. Is that possible with the program "out of
>the box" or do I need to code a patch?

Locate the points you want the co-ordinates of and write them out using
#fopen and #write. See section 6.2.3 in the documentation.

The trace() command can be useful for locating points in situations
where it's difficult to explicitly calculate the co-ordinates.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>>I'm wondering if it is possible to export geometric data during the
>>rendering. In particular, I'm intrested in tracking some points in the
>>scene and I would like POV-Ray to export (ASCII file?) the coordinates of
>>the  points projected onto the image plane, perhaps together with other
>>informations, like visibility. Is that possible with the program "out of
>>the box" or do I need to code a patch?
>

> Locate the points you want the co-ordinates of and write them out using
> #fopen and #write. See section 6.2.3 in the documentation.
>
> The trace() command can be useful for locating points in situations
> where it's difficult to explicitly calculate the co-ordinates.

finally #fclose is worth a mention just to close

stephen

Post a reply to this message

> >I'm wondering if it is possible to export geometric data during the
> >rendering. In particular, I'm intrested in tracking some points in the
> >scene and I would like POV-Ray to export (ASCII file?) the coordinates of
> >the  points projected onto the image plane, perhaps together with other
> >informations, like visibility. Is that possible with the program "out of
> >the box" or do I need to code a patch?
>
> Locate the points you want the co-ordinates of and write them out using
> #fopen and #write. See section 6.2.3 in the documentation.
>
> The trace() command can be useful for locating points in situations
> where it's difficult to explicitly calculate the co-ordinates.

    hi mike.

    Andrea want "the coordinates of the  points projected onto the image
plane, perhaps together with other informations, like visibility. "

    povray doesn't give acces to this feature... :-((

Post a reply to this message

>     Andrea want "the coordinates of the  points projected onto the image
> plane, perhaps together with other informations, like visibility. "
>
>     povray doesn't give acces to this feature... :-((

Does it mean that I have to patch the code? :-)

There is any way to ask POV-Ray to compute the projection of a given 3D
point w.r.t. a given
camera?

Andrea

Post a reply to this message