POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : pigment function as normal pattern Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  pigment function as normal pattern (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Ross Litscher
Subject: pigment function as normal pattern
Date: 29 Mar 2004 15:18:37
Message: <4068849d$1@news.povray.org>
is it possible to use a pigment function i've made,

#local pigf = function {pigment {... }}

as a normal pattern for an object? I understand I could make an isusurface
using that function, but that's not what I'm aiming for.

something like:

#local norm1 = normal{
    pigf(x,y,z).gray
}

?

thanks,
ross.

Post a reply to this message

> is it possible to use a pigment function i've made,
>
> #local pigf = function {pigment {... }}
>
> as a normal pattern for an object? I understand I could make an isusurface
> using that function, but that's not what I'm aiming for.
>
> something like:
>
> #local norm1 = normal{
>     pigf(x,y,z).gray
> }
>
> ?
>
> thanks,
> ross.

pretty much exactly that. This works:

#declare pigf = function { pigment { bozo } }
sphere {
    0, 5
    texture {
        pigment { White }
        normal { function { pigf(x, y, z).gray } }
    }
}
--
Bill Hails

Post a reply to this message

"Bill Hails" <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote in message
> Ross Litscher wrote:
>
> > is it possible to use a pigment function i've made,
> >
> > #local pigf = function {pigment {... }}
> >
> > as a normal pattern for an object? I understand I could make an
isusurface
> > using that function, but that's not what I'm aiming for.
> >
> > something like:
> >
> > #local norm1 = normal{
> >     pigf(x,y,z).gray
> > }
> >
> > ?
> >
> > thanks,
> > ross.
>
> pretty much exactly that. This works:
>
> #declare pigf = function { pigment { bozo } }
> sphere {
>     0, 5
>     texture {
>         pigment { White }
>         normal { function { pigf(x, y, z).gray } }
>     }
> }
> --
> Bill Hails

And that should work with any custom pigment function I make, no matter how
complex, right?

thanks for the clarification. I tried several variations, but apparently
never the correct one :)

ross.

Post a reply to this message