POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : --- Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  --- (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Media & Density files clipping problem
Date: 23 May 2004 13:09:07
Message: <cjameshuff-3C0372.12093123052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40b0d0ad@news.povray.org>,
 "Eric DeGiuli" <eri### [at] NOSPAMutorontoca> wrote:

> I've just started using POV ray for some scientific visualization but I'm
> having problems with density files.  I'm using the patch to allow 16 bit
> floats as data (
> http://staff.aist.go.jp/r-suzuki/e/povray/iso/df_body.htm ) - I wish there
> was a 3.6 beta available so that I could avoid using the patch!  My data is
> a 200x200x32 volume of cloud data, scaled to be between 0 and 0.99.  I'm
> using the data in a media block, with nothing fancy.  It looks like my data
> is being clipped either on import or during rendering, because it should be
> really smooth. (see image)

Well, remember that you're viewing it at 8 bits per component. That's
256 levels, from 0 to 255. Try rendering to 48 bit PNG and viewing it in
a program that does dithering. And I couldn't get accurate colors from
your JPEG, so I'm not really sure what you're seeing. Also, make sure
you're writing the data in the correct byte order, etc.

Aside from that, this group is for non-binary posts only. If you want to
post an image, please post it in povray.binaries.images.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message