POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Environment Mapping Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Environment Mapping (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Leibniz
Subject: Environment Mapping
Date: 22 Aug 2008 04:35:01
Message: <web.48ae7983e70e57b2d6bcd9f50@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I am searching for an easy way to map an environment map onto a box or a sphere
in POV-Ray.

How would you map a texture in cube format onto a box?

Thanks,
Leibniz

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Environment Mapping
Date: 22 Aug 2008 04:57:24
Message: <48ae7f74@news.povray.org>

http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/358/

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 22 Aug 2008 04:58:07
Message: <ZFvNzfEX9nrIFwQZ@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Leibniz who wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am searching for an easy way to map an environment map onto a box or a sphere
>in POV-Ray.

It depends what exactly you mean by environment map.

Some 3d graphics systems use the term "environment map" for a nasty
kluge that they use to avoid calculating reflections. POVRay calculates
reflections correctly, so there's no need for the kluge. Apply your
environment map pigment to the sky_sphere and allow it to be reflected.

Id you've got an environment map texture that is designed to be placed
on a cube, then apply the texture to a large cube that contains the
scene and apply ambient 1 (because you don't want to cast shadows onto
the sky).

If you don't want the environment to be visible in the background of
your scene, use the no_image keyword so that you only get reflections of
it.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure